Short term electrolyte solution

Ranita36

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
My chickens are 11 weeks old. We are going on vacation and have 2- 5 gallons bucket waterers. While we are gone the temps are to soar in the high 90's. I have Australorps which I have read, don't do well in very high temps/humidity. I also saw where Gatorade is not recommended because of the sugar content. Would it hurt for them to be on it short term for a week? If not, does anyone have a home made recipe for chicken safe Electrolyte solution? I tried to find one, using the search, but I keep finding posts that say "I use homemade solution" but can't find the actual recipe. Maybe I just don't know how to use the search productively.:confused:

I have Australorps which I have read, don't do well in very high temps/humidity.
This is true, though I will mention that no breed of chicken does well above 70*.

Personally, electrolytes are good, but more importantly is to provide ways to cool down. I like to freeze water and chopped vegetables in a bin, then place that outside for them during the day. It will slowly thaw and they can pick at the ice and veggies to help keep them cool. A mister system is also a good idea.
Another suggestion given to me last year during out crazy hot spell, was dig some holes early morning, and fill them up with water. As the day goes on the holes will turn into mud, and the ladies can stand in them to keep cool.
Overall, my best method last year was deep shade. Luckily I have two massive maple trees in my backyard I could move the tractor into. My stationary setup couldn't be moved, but the birds moved under the maples had no issues.

It has already broken 110-F. over here in the desert, and mine are going through a ton of water every day. I have to top the water containers off at least a couple time's a day, and I have some mister's on a timer set up. I have thought about setting up an auto-fed water system myself. Chicken's need allot of water when it's hot.

Note on additive water: ALWAYS provide plain water (no additives) at the same time-they can choose.

Second important note in your situation: do not leave the electrolyte water out all day bc microbes think it is delicious too. The water will go bad and may cause unintended illness.

If your vacation is a day or two away. Give them ample opportunity to get electrolytes now. Give them plain water while you are gone. Then, when you return, you can give them electrolyte water again. Generally, you do not offer additive water more than 1-2x per week anyway.

This is true, though I will mention that no breed of chicken does well above 70*.

Personally, electrolytes are good, but more importantly is to provide ways to cool down. I like to freeze water and chopped vegetables in a bin, then place that outside for them during the day. It will slowly thaw and they can pick at the ice and veggies to help keep them cool. A mister system is also a good idea.
Another suggestion given to me last year during out crazy hot spell, was dig some holes early morning, and fill them up with water. As the day goes on the holes will turn into mud, and the ladies can stand in them to keep cool.
Overall, my best method last year was deep shade. Luckily I have two massive maple trees in my backyard I could move the tractor into. My stationary setup couldn't be moved, but the birds moved under the maples had no issues.
Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom