Short term lease on Tupperware

infish

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
My daughter and I plan to order 12 chicks from my local Agway, later in April. We have plans for a 12X10 coop, but still have a little bit too much snow, here in central NH, to get started. How many weeks do I have, before they will out grow the 66 Qt Tupperware container we have set up for them? They will be in my basement with heat ( suspended light), water and food as instructed. Also if they are divided into two containers, will in effect how they bond once in the coop? Would I be better off just using a bigger cardboard box an keeping them all together. Plan is to mix four ea, New Hampshires, Plymouth Rocks and Black Sex Links for this first timers starter flock.

I would go with the bigger cardboard box and keep them all together. You can make the box last longer by cutting a scrap of linoleum to put on the bottom of it and making sure it is on a solid surface, like a piece of plywood or something sturdy and level. Using a gallon waterer will help prevent spills, but still needs to be changed daily even if it is almost full still. New chicks, I cover the floor with paper towels for a few days and just spread ground up chick starter (Start N' Grow) all over the towels. That way they know how to forage on the ground when they are bigger. There has been some research to say that chicks that peck off the ground in the begining are less prone to feather picking and canibalism. I have found about zero of those behaviors in my flock, even though sometimes they get crowded with growout pens and cage space at a premium until some get sold, LOL. Good luck with your chicks, and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, hello &
welcome-byc.gif
from Minnesota i always use cardboard boxes for my brooders cheap easy clean up, just burn after you are done with it

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I agree with the box if you have to keep them in it a while. You can always cut the side down and add another box with duct tape if needed. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom