Shortage of canning jars?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I have been trying for over two weeks to get my hands on canning jars locally in two states. No on has any. Two stores have told me that they have placed orders for them every two weeks but just never recieve any.

I need to make jam!!!!! What on earth am I supposed to do?! I sell the jam, so it's not like I even have jars left from last year.

Is anyone else noticing this where you are?

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I can't get any either I have been trying for about a month!

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Not sure why you can't find any. I got mine at the dollar store on clearance. It was general dollar I believe, do you have 1 locally if so maybe you can ask them if they will be getting any in if they don't have any.

4. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    is there anyway to order online? [​IMG] Might try ebay

I don't can much, cause momma freezes most of her stuff, and I still live at home with them so I really have no where to put the jars if I did can!!

Our Wal-mart had jars this last weekend in Alabama, I think!

GPN

Good luck

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I get mine at the local hardware store. But last week I did notice they were low on what they carry. Which stinks.
    I use them for the hot fudge sauce that I sell. so I dont have em sitting around here either. And now I am using the bigger ones for home made tomato sauce. And will be needing more come fall harvest.

Gotta start looking and saving them up I guess

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've been tryign to find a good deal on the canning jar flats. I don't want to spend $2.50/12 flats!! [​IMG]

7. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

if you have a big lots near you, try them. mine ALWAYS has jars and lids year 'round.

also, several times a year i beg jars on freecycle. more often than not, i score dozens that way.

good luck! canning rocks!

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I've seen them at the stores around here... we usually run out in July/August time frame..

Nancy

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, and try bartering eggs for jars craigslist...

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Someplaces only carry canning jars in the growing season for that locale. I know here the local mom and pop hardware store has them year round but places like Walmart (who sell boat loads of them) and other stores like BigLots and some dollar stores only have them seasonally.

What do you have coming in out of your garden/orchard that you are canning and making jelly????

If I were in Ga I would getting my garden ready now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by