Should chicken water ever smell like sewage

Has the water been tested recently? Sometimes contaminants are in the water and make it smell/look off. We have 4 filters and a reverse osmosis system for drinking water in our house and we also had to put filters out in the barn because the hard water had so much sediment. Even with the filters our water turns a slight orange tinge just sitting out for a couple of hours. My aunt's well will even get a sulfur smell to it when it needs shocked again.

Last edited:
Has the water been tested recently? Sometimes contaminants are in the water and make it smell/look off. We have 4 filters and a reverse osmosis system for drinking water in our house and we also had to put filters out in the barn because the hard water had so much sediment. Even with the filters our water turns a slight orange tinge just sitting out for a couple of hours. My aunt's well will even get a sulfur smell to is when it needs shocked again.
How does she shock her water? My water has really been stinky like sulphur since I had a new well pump put in last winter.

Thank you @All4Eggz for clarifying. I'm new to this but I also tend to geek out and my OCD kicks in so when I clean those waterers I CLEAN them. Even if there are 5 of them and each one takes me 15'. So be it! I think they need (and deserve) clean water. Plus I am also suspicious that some of the diseases we're dealing with have to do with dirty water. Maybe not. There are other dirty things they could be getting diseases from. Flies. Mosquitoes. Maggots. Wet chicken run. Rainy humid weather. :/
Have you considered hanging the waterers above butt level? We hung ours in the summer and I loved it! Right away made a set up for the feeder and chick feeders/waterers to hang too! They stay MUCH cleaner!! They'll try getting on them at first, but quickly learn it isn't much fun anymore!

Thank you @All4Eggz for clarifying. I'm new to this but I also tend to geek out and my OCD kicks in so when I clean those waterers I CLEAN them. Even if there are 5 of them and each one takes me 15'. So be it! I think they need (and deserve) clean water. Plus I am also suspicious that some of the diseases we're dealing with have to do with dirty water. Maybe not. There are other dirty things they could be getting diseases from. Flies. Mosquitoes. Maggots. Wet chicken run. Rainy humid weather. :/
could u set the waterer on top of something to get it off the ground, so they can't kick dirt into it?

Back
Top Bottom