should chickens be panting at night

It means they're hot--that's how they try to cool down their bodies--by panting and even holding their wings away from their body. The coop should never be warmer than outside, you'll want to verify that with a thermometer. And air movement is important--some people use fans, but you may have to have at least double the minimum ventilation, shooting for 2 sq ft per bird. Some people have a 3-wall or 2-wall structure, with just predator proof wire on the leeward sides to prevent heat build up and allow for ventilation. I'm in a climate where the heat of the day is at roost time, and all the ice blocks and ice bottles don't help at that time of the day. What is your area/climate?

It means they're hot--that's how they try to cool down their bodies--by panting and even holding their wings away from their body. The coop should never be warmer than outside, you'll want to verify that with a thermometer. And air movement is important--some people use fans, but you may have to have at least double the minimum ventilation, shooting for 2 sq ft per bird. Some people have a 3-wall or 2-wall structure, with just predator proof wire on the leeward sides to prevent heat build up and allow for ventilation. I'm in a climate where the heat of the day is at roost time, and all the ice blocks and ice bottles don't help at that time of the day. What is your area/climate?
in ok

It is normal, but should be prevented if possible.

Make sure there is plenty of ventilation. Could we see a picture of your coop set up? And how hot is it there?

Mine do it but the best i can do is constantly make sure there is cold water and make sure theres good ventilation. I also turn a fan on in there for them to circulate some air.

Back
Top Bottom