Should confined layers have extra vitamin D?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Just a musing really... here in the UK we are on 'flockdown' as many of you know. Since mid-December all captive poultry have had to be kept inside, or at least in a run which is totally sealed off from wild birds (including a roof to stop droppings from wild birds getting in). I really feel that I have seen a lot of posts in UK FB groups lately about lame hens with no obvious cause and I wonder if a lack of vitamin D is playing a role in this? Since they now have limited sunshine or none at all.

Whilst their main feed is nutritionally-balanced, most chicken-keepers that I know end up diluting this somewhat by feeding treats, veggies and other things. I have seen evidence to suggest that vitamin D deficiency can cause lameness, plus I believe it plays a roll in the absorption of calcium which they of course need for egg production.

What are your thoughts? In our case I have been adding a vitamin and mineral supplement to our flock's water.

If my birds were deprived of sunlight reaching their skin and eyes, it would be a concern but most feed manufacturers tend to boost D3 since they have no idea how much sun is reaching their customers' birds.

Last edited:
Thanks both for your thoughts. I think the majority of people here are not offering any extra vitamins at this time and I am just wondering about the long-term impact really. I assume DEFRA would think to mention it if it was a major concern, since they decide on the confinement, but I think I’ll carry on ‘topping up’!

Other animals have hair or fur but are still affected by sun exposure.
Sun exposure in chickens occurs through the feet, legs, eyes and skull. Some wavelengths of light can penetrate the feathers. I know this discussion is about vitamin D3 but I also know that as it regards day length vs. dark period, even a blind chicken can detect day length due to light -regardless of source - penetrating the skull and thereby detected by the pineal gland.

Last edited:
I assume DEFRA would think to mention it if it was a major concern,
I think you overestimate their concern for us private chicken keepers.

As industrial poultry farms do keep their poultry in enormous halls anyway (lack of natural (sun)light) and supplement the vitamins etc. via feed, DEFRA would just not think about or rather loose sight of this very important issue.

Other animals have hairor fur but are still affected by sun exposure.
Sun exposure in chickens occurs through the feet, legs, eyes and skull. Some wavelengths of light can penetrate the feathers. I know this discussion is about vitamin D3 but I also know that as it regards day length vs. dark period, even a blind chicken can detect day length due to light -regardless of source - penetrating the skull and thereby detected by the pineal gland.
Thanks for your input, this is helpful! I hadn't even considered that about blind chickens. I think it's a shame that people don't recognise the various effects (and benefits) of sunlight upon our feathered friends.
How silly is that? :rolleyes:

Of course they are effected!
I do supplement my chickens with Vitamin D3+Calcium+Vitamin K as we too have to keep them confined due to AI.

Thank you. I am really interested to hear that you are supplementing vitamins whilst your flock are confined as well. There is no guidance here at all, at least not that I have seen, and I believe that most chicken-keepers have not even considered it. I have actually written to DEFRA about it, what a nerd. :lol:

I think you overestimate their concern for us private chicken keepers.

As industrial poultry farms do keep their poultry in enormous halls anyway (lack of natural (sun)light) and supplement the vitamins etc. via feed, DEFRA would just not think about or rather loose sight of this very important issue.

Just saw this next post - a good point! I expect they'll ignore my email too. :p

Back
Top Bottom