Should food and water be provided in the coop?

This question will have different answers due to differences in coop setups, security of run and coop, location and rodent situations.
I have a walk in coop. At times I dont open the coop up until 10 am. In the winter when temps are to cold or snow is to deep they dont get out for weeks at a time.
In my situation I have plenty of area inside to have their feed and water avaliable with no problems. My coop is also rodent proof.( except for when poop door is open)
Both answers are right depending on each specific situation

I have the water in the run and the feed in the coop. I like to keep the feed inside to discourage other animals from entering the run (the coop is rodent proof but the run is not). Also I don't want to be bringing the feed in and taking it out every day to discourage rodents. So I like having the feed inside.

This does depend on your personal coop setup. If I had an automatic door or something, I would feel more comfortable with leaving their water outside. But sometimes I don't get outside until 10:00 or 11:00 to let them out and I wouldn't want them to be that long without a drink. So I keep food and water in the coop. I use a 5 gallon bucket within horizontal nipples for water (so there's no danger of a huge water mess as far as tipping anything over or pooping in the water bucket) and feed troughs made out of PVC pipes that can't get knocked over either. I don't free feed, either.

This does depend on your personal coop setup. If I had an automatic door or something, I would feel more comfortable with leaving their water outside. But sometimes I don't get outside until 10:00 or 11:00 to let them out and I wouldn't want them to be that long without a drink. So I keep food and water in the coop. I use a 5 gallon bucket within horizontal nipples for water (so there's no danger of a huge water mess as far as tipping anything over or pooping in the water bucket) and feed troughs made out of PVC pipes that can't get knocked over either. I don't free feed, either.
Hey, I'm just curious, but would you mind telling me why you don't free-feed?

I live in Louisiana, with an Eglu Cube coop with automatic door and 13 ft run. I keep feed and water outside the coop in the run. I don't feed inside the coop to avoid rodent issues. Water is also outside for moisture.

Hey, I'm just curious, but would you mind telling me why you don't free-feed?
I'm not against free feeding, but they got moved into a new coop last week and I'm trying to encourage them to go outside and look for food during the day. They just aren't used to the pop door and want to hang out in the coop all day. I feed them in the morning but there's usually food left over. We also had a problem with wild birds entering our duck coop through the pop door and eating the ducks good throughout the day. Small birds can ready a surprising amount of food! I no longer free feed the ducks either, for this reason. No more birds!

Last edited:
I'm not against free feeding, but they got moved into a new coop last week and I'm trying to encourage them to go outside and look for food during the day. They just aren't used to the pop door and want to hang out in the coop all day. I feed them in the morning but there's usually food left over. We also had a problem with wild birds entering our duck coop through the pop door and eating the ducks good throughout the day. Small birds can ready a surprising amount of food! I no longer free feed the ducks either, for this reason. No more birds!
I understand that! As long as they're getting all the food they need, and if they eat it all they get more.

Back
Top Bottom