Should I be Concerned? Voice gone...

BackyardBradshaw

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Florida, USA
So my little silkie roo has lost his voice. Is this common or should I be worried? He just started crowing about 2 months ago. His crow has been pretty strong, but this morning you can barely hear him. He sounds very raspy and there's no pitch to his voice. Almost like a broken squeak toy. He seems to be acting fine. Growing pains maybe?

How is the ventilation in his coop? Is there much ammonia odor from droppings? Look for any watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, or nasal drainage, which could be a sign of a respiratory issue.

This isn't something to be too concerned about. The mechanism that produces a rooster's crow, the syrinx, is not a perfectly stable organ. It can be easily jostled out of position by the flexing of the muscles that surround and support it. This can result in a day or two of his crow sounding pathetic and "off".

If this is accompanied by watery eyes and leaking fluid from his nares, then you might suspect he's coming down with a respiratory infection or, as @Eggcessive mentioned, irritation from fecal buildup in a poorly ventilated coop. Absent these other symptoms, there is little to warrant worry over it.

How is the ventilation in his coop? Is there much ammonia odor from droppings? Look for any watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, or nasal drainage, which could be a sign of a respiratory issue.
Ventilation is good. There's droppings but no ammonia smell. I keep it pretty fresh in there. No issues so far other than his voice. Today is the first day though so I will keep an eye out for those problems thanks!

Is this a common issue? I'm finding a lot of threads on here but no one seems to return to say if their same problem resolved or what caused it.

This isn't something to be too concerned about. The mechanism that produces a rooster's crow, the syrinx, is not a perfectly stable organ. It can be easily jostled out of position by the flexing of the muscles that surround and support it. This can result in a day or two of his crow sounding pathetic and "off".

If this is accompanied by watery eyes and leaking fluid from his nares, then you might suspect he's coming down with a respiratory infection or, as @Eggcessive mentioned, irritation from fecal buildup in a poorly ventilated coop. Absent these other symptoms, there is little to warrant worry over it.
That makes me feel way better thank you, both! I will keep an eye on him. Hoping it's nothing.

Also @Eggcessive great name 😂 We have a chicken I wanted to name Agatha and my daughter said, "No Mommy lets name her Eggatha." Lol

Back
Top Bottom