Should I be concerned?

JLBW

Hatching
Dec 16, 2020
I think I should be concerned about this egg. I know which hen laid it and she is behaving normally. It's one of the first eggs she's laid since she finished molting and she will be three years old in the spring. The rest of the flock is healthy. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• egg pic.jpg
    egg pic.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 7
Check out "meat spots" on these links. That's a bad one, pretty disgusting, most aren't that bad. The short explanation is that something sloughs off in the hen's body cavity and makes its way down the hen's internal egg making factory, getting trapped in the egg as it is being made. Sometimes a meat spot goes through the hen's internal egg making factory and a yolkless egg forms around them. That's a common cause of yolkless eggs and sometimes the meat spot is so small it's hard to spot.

Egg Quality Handbook

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Sumi – Egg Quality

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Meat spots are fairly common. Commercial egg operations candle their eggs before they get packaged for sale so customers don't get a surprise like that or blood spots. That's a big reason I suggest we always crack out eggs in a separate bowl before we use them or mix them with anything. They are safe to eat as long as they are cooked but I sure would not be able to eat one that bad. If you have dogs you can cook it and feed it the them. Or cook it and feed it back to the chickens.

Meat spots can be more likely in older hens or maybe a pullet just starting to lay. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, our bodies slough stuff off in the body cavity also. In us and usually in a chicken it gets re-adsorbed by the body but in chickens it is possible it can find its way into the egg. I don't worry about that, it's just something that happens.

Oh, the joys of finding out where eggs really comes from. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom