Should i be feeding layer feed?

btruegs

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Spokane WA
Hey guys,

My hens are around 16 weeks, and i've been feeding layer feed for around 4 weeks. I recently saw a post that said if you feed layer feed before 18 weeks that it can cause kidney problems, and i was wondering if i should switch back over to medicated chick starter, i have a little left. They seem to be doing just fine, eat and drink normally, don't notice any problems. One of my hens is more matured than the others,( I got them at the same time, they should be the same age) and i think she might be laying soon, and i read that you don't want the medication from the chick feed in the eggs? Thanks!

This is the matured one:

here is my new hampshire red for comparison

and here is my 2/3 australorps

I think it is okay that you are feeding them layer feed. True, most people wait until their birds are 18 weeks or are laying, but starting a few weeks early isn't going to hurt them. You just wouldn't want to feed young chicks such a high calcium, low protein feed. If you're worried about them getting too much calcium, you could also at least mix in some of the medicated feed, so that it diluted some of the layer feed's calcium.

I think it is okay that you are feeding them layer feed. True, most people wait until their birds are 18 weeks or are laying, but starting a few weeks early isn't going to hurt them. You just wouldn't want to feed young chicks such a high calcium, low protein feed. If you're worried about them getting too much calcium, you could also at least mix in some of the medicated feed, so that it diluted some of the layer feed's calcium.
Cool, Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom