Should I be worried about these black marks?

Update on this. The marks have gotten a little worse and there is a new scab on the comb of the chook, so I think this is confirmation of a disease and not pecking. The bird has been isolated for a week.

Attachments

• PXL_20211210_220629535.jpg
    PXL_20211210_220629535.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20211210_220703476.jpg
    PXL_20211210_220703476.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 2
Yes, she's fairly spritely, doesn't seem to be bothered about it at all. I've let her out in the yard for a bit to get some exercise and she's currently destroying my garden.

Yes, she's fairly spritely, doesn't seem to be bothered about it at all. I've let her out in the yard for a bit to get some exercise and she's currently destroying my garden.
I really wish I knew what to tell you. You're right that it's not pecking injury, but I'll be darned if that isn't what it looks like. I wonder if fowl pox would make the "bruising" marks you see on the wattles.

Where is she being housed? Do other birds have access to her like being able to peck at her through a crate/kennel?

Pattern on wattles and the dark streak on her comb look pretty much the same to me in your photos. Back of comb there is some scabbing - could be from rub or peck. Ridge of beak also has new injury, possible from rubbing or sticking beak through wire or cage.

If you feel it's disease that you are dealing with and are hesitant to add her to your flock, then culling may be the most practical avenue to explore. If she's been roaming your property and you haven't been practicing biosecurity while tending to her and your flock, then IF it's disease, the others have been somewhat exposed.
1639189416826.jpeg

Hi Wyorp Rock. Yes they've been separated by about 8 metres, but I allow the chooks to roam around during the day. They have been hanging around the isolation cage, but I've been keeping an eye on them and they're not pecking through the wire.

It seems likely to me that it's a disease, I'd just like to know what it is. If it's pox, then I won't cull the bird because it'll clear up.

I noticed today that it's pecking at its legs too, which suggests it may have some scaly leg mites on the rise. These have been really problematic in my previous flocks.

Back
Top Bottom