Should I be worried or is (s)he just sleeping?

Cluckingclueless

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2018
Stafford, VA
I’m new to the back yard chicken adventure and just got my first batch of chicks on Tuesday. For the most part they seem happy and healthy, but I just went to check them and one chick is laying down kind of limp (still breathing and chirping although quietly) and won’t open his/her eyes even when picked up. I’m just not sure if I should be worried or if he/she is just a really heavy sleeper.

Welcome to BYC!

Chick should be active between naps.
Is it eating drinking pooping?
Check it butt for pasting(poop covering vent).

Are other chicks more active?
Show us a pick of your brooder and tell us how you are heating them.

Poor chick didn’t make it. There’s a second that’s acting a little off too, but that one seemed to be more active earlier so I assumed it wasn’t anything. I don’t know if those two just haven’t been eating and drinking or what. I check all the chicks a few times per day for pasting and there’s nothing.

Heating source is a wool hen and I throw a hand warmer in every now and then wrapped in a little microfiber dish glove sort of like a little heated bed.

Attachments

• 450EA636-9FB0-4BB2-9DC3-261E4CCF5150.jpeg
    450EA636-9FB0-4BB2-9DC3-261E4CCF5150.jpeg
    513.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4C752577-464E-40FF-9AD0-C260EEC6270A.jpeg
    4C752577-464E-40FF-9AD0-C260EEC6270A.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 17
They need a constant source of heat in the low to mid 90s when they are just hatched. Heat lamp, radiant heater, heating pad that doesn't shut off. I don't measure temps, just watch chicks to see if they are comfortable. Constantly chirping chicks are not doing good. If they are huddled, they are cold. Spread far out and mouth breathing, too hot. Scattered, chatting with each other, and active between sleeping, just right. Heat source goes on one side so they can go to a cooler side if they need too.

You should be a using a real heat source. A hand warmer is nowhere near sufficient.

Your chick died from being too cold.

Get an animal grade heat lamp or a heating pad. A real heating pad used for muscle cramps.
The temperature should be between 80-90 degrees.
Where and when did you get these chicks? Did you research how to care for them? What are you feeding them?

They need a constant source of heat in the low to mid 90s when they are just hatched. Heat lamp, radiant heater, heating pad that doesn't shut off. I don't measure temps, just watch chicks to see if they are comfortable. Constantly chirping chicks are not doing good. If they are huddled, they are cold. Spread far out and mouth breathing, too hot. Scattered, chatting with each other, and active between sleeping, just right. Heat source goes on one side so they can go to a cooler side if they need too.
:goodpost:

The cool side is 85 and then they have their wool hen on the warm side, the hand warmer is just there as a supplemental source if they want it, but they are by no means huddled together in the wool hen constantly chirping. I suppose the chick could have been chilled, but I just don’t see the others acting cold so :idunno

Back
Top Bottom