Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fluffybutt3856, Aug 11, 2016.

1. fluffybutt3856

fluffybutt3856 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This has never happened before. My hens never eat their eggs. What happened?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That looks like a soft shelled egg to me, I don't see a shell. They happen occasionally and are often eaten.

3. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I usually have that happening to me in the hottest part of the summer, I find them in the roosting box. I believe it is because of the heat because very seldom I see that any other time of the year

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

How old are your birds?
    Might be getting ready to molt.

5. fluffybutt3856

fluffybutt3856 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    They r about 20 weeks old. Is it because of calcium deficiency? Should I feed them eggshells?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That wasn't eaten, it was laid as a soft shell egg.

A lot of times, it's just a glitch in a new layer, especially production birds. There's not really much you can do about it except see if it continues. A bird that constantly had issues like this may need to be culled, that would be your call. But usually, it's a one-off thing and you don't have ongoing issues.

What are you feeding them? If it's layer feed, you should be good. If it's grower or all flock, something like that, offer oyster shell for some supplemental calcium. New layers should have a good store already and this wouldn't be from lack of calcium, but is won't hurt either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by