should I bring my broody chicken in at night?

FlockFinderWest

Chirping
Dec 9, 2023
Due to spring and because I have a rooster, my hens have been going broody back to back. I’ve been using a wire dog cage and leaving the hen in the run during the day, but during the night I bring her into the barn. I’m kind of getting fed up with doing this every morning and night because with every chicken I break it seems another goes broody. It would make my life a lot easier if I could just leave the chicken out at night in my secure run but I’m worried as we get wind at night and we’re still having night time temps in the 40s. Will my hens be fine getting left out on their own overnight?

The rooster doesn't make them go broody. Hormones do.
I think they'd be fine.
You could also put up a wind block for them on the prevailing wind side.
:thumbsup

I've seen chickens roosting in trees when it was below zero Fahrenheit, let alone below freezing. They were able to get out of a direct wind in those trees so a wind block is a good idea.

I understand hens will go broody irregardless of a rooster but I’ve been told that the presence of a rooster can increase the chance of them feeling broody. Here is her crate set up and the run which I close at night, the bottom two feet are hardware cloth
IMG_2661.jpeg

The rooster doesn't make them go broody. Hormones do.
I think they'd be fine.
You could also put up a wind block for them on the prevailing wind side. Can you post pictures of your setup?

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Roosters have no effect on broodiness, how often a bird goes broody depends on the hen herself, some breeds tend towards broodiness more than others and some hens go broody a lot

I understand hens will go broody irregardless of a rooster but I’ve been told that the presence of a rooster can increase the chance of them feeling broody. Here is her crate set up and the run which I close at night, the bottom two feet are hardware cloth View attachment 3832990

Can you keep the dog crate inside the run and up on blocks so she has no area to continue to just sit and be broody?

Can you keep the dog crate inside the run and up on blocks so she has no area to continue to just sit and be broody?
I definitely can, that’s what I’m wondering. Is If she’ll be ok temperature-wise in the run at night. We’re still having windy nights and low 40s

Back
Top Bottom