Should I build a new run???!!!

Well I would like some understanding of how much it costs to make a run with wood before I make a budget.

That's so variable that it's hard to pin down.

Camp Cockerel, for example, cost me about $50-60 dollars because we bought a BIG roll of chicken wire on sale and only used part of it, had scrap 2x4 wire that someone was going to throw away saved for just this purpose, bought one tarp on sale and had the other tarp scrap from another project, etc.

But building a structure that size with wood posts, hardware cloth, metal roof, etc, would cost several hundred dollars depending on our luck with sales, Craigslist finds, etc.

Well I would like some understanding of how much it costs to make a run with wood before I make a budget.
Depending on where you are, you could price wood at your local Lowe‘s, Home Depot, Fix & Feed, etc. If you’re wanting to cut back on pricing some, Landscaping Timbers are far cheaper than 4x4s (they are 4x3 with rounding on 2 sides). I personally like the look of them better than all the square things.
You could also get 6in fence pickets (usually 6ft long) for some of the wood you need, but it won’t hold up forever.
Big box wood sellers, such as Lowe’s and Home Depot also sell “cull wood” in some locations. It’s usually on a cart somewhere with a bit of spray paint on it. It’s wood that’s warped or chipped, or otherwise has some flaws, but they sell it for 50-80% off the shelf price. It‘s not the best, because it has some flaws, but it’s cut to the size of normal lumber, and, if you can find good pieces, they’ll have all the strength of the high priced pieces.

As for making a sloped roof, you could build the wall on one side as 5ft tall, and build an identical wall for the other side, but also make a rectangle that is the same length, but only 1.5ft tall, and attach it to the top of one side. If your roofing requires slats, take 2x4s and lay them on their side. You can rest them on the bottom wall and hold the other side up to the taller wall to get the right angle for your cut. Get some decking or roofing metal holder things (idk what they’re called, but they attach wood to each other), and screw em in. Put your room on top, and BOOM! Slanted roof! :)

Do you Think a slanted roof if necessary where I live? I live in northeastern Colorado. we get a decent amount of snow but not too much.

Yes. Snow load is very likely to collapse a flat roof. I don't even like the flat roof on my brooder in this climate (I didn't built it, I was given the structure).

Here is a photo from the internet showing how, in general, you'd frame a single-sloped roof:

10x12-Shed-Roof-Plan-00704-Isometric-4-600x530.jpg

Basically, you just build the one wall higher than the other and run the roof supports on a slant.

Use hurricane ties instead of trying to cut bird's mouth joints for the rafters because cutting the bird's mouth joints is hard.

How-to-Install-Hurricane-Ties.jpg

Metal roof installed on purlins is the easiest roof to use, IMO. Polycarbonate panels might be equally easy, I have not experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom