Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Babies survived the night in the coop with the grannies. The sun is not even up yet but I went out in the seedy grey light and checked on them. The grannies were outside stretching their legs and the babies were poking around inside the coop. I assume they will come out when it gets lighter out. It's supposed to snow today. Poor babies.

I can't remember what last years prank was but I remember falling for it!

I was quite careful not to bring up this 'magic feed' until it had turned midnight where I live. :)

I can't ever remember seeing any pranks lol there's a whole list of all the pranks though, they just put it in this years post :)

I don't like when she turns the babies (chicks too) on their backs. It's not hurting them, so I try to remember that she is learning. While I am unsure of what it is that she is investigating, I'm sure that she is learning something!
The chicks (7 weeks) were outside in the pen today, going all the way to the other end. Went one of them would dare to walk out the door of the run, one of the hens was sure to make it go back. I thought this was progress since they rarely step out the pop door, and don't go more than a few steps. Then I saw the cat running out of my coop. I know that the neighbors cats will not hurt the chickens or even chicks, but I still did not like it.
I got pretty nervous when I saw one of the chicks was wandering around behind the coop. I don't trust them to go back inside. Of course I'm sure they know how to, it's that they might be afraid to. I did my best to count their heads when I was in there a while ago. I think we are good.
JoJo has been following me everywhere! I couldn't be sure if he was wanting my attention/food or if he was feeling possessive of Casey. I'm thinking that he just wants my attention. They have food and water. They've been grazing (so they don't eat much feed) and have two outside water bowls. So this is the conclusion I've come to! It was hysterical watching him try to keep up with me while I rescued all of the chairs that had been blown around. The storm has begun. Sleet and strong winds. We are expecting an inch of snow, and 50 mile an hour winds. Meanwhile, I went out in shorts and a T-shirt and they were still roaming around despite the sun setting and foul weather.

Last edited:
Sorry to post this here but this is really active so... I'm sorry... My bantam austrolorp (however you spell that) has an egg that she's had ready to lay since yesterday and still won't ( noticed it during a routine mite/vent check) is she egg bound? Should I massage it out? Should I soak her? What should I do?

Sorry to post this here but this is really active so... I'm sorry... My bantam austrolorp (however you spell that) has an egg that she's had ready to lay since yesterday and still won't ( noticed it during a routine mite/vent check) is she egg bound? Should I massage it out? Should I soak her? What should I do?
Hi! It is good to have you post here.

How is she acting? It is not un common for hens to hold onto an egg for a while. I would watch and wait unless she seems to be in pain.

A couple of things though, if you already do not have it out for them, get some oyster shell calcium for her. Put it into a separate feeder so she can eat it free choice.

Calcium is necessary for contractions so she will have a hard time laying the egg if she is deficient.

Second thing is to palpate the egg(in a day or so) to see if it is soft or hard. Be careful though, you do not want to break the egg! Soft shelled or shell less eggs are hard for them to lay. Hard shelled or regular eggs are easier.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom