Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I know, before when my group started, it took ages before we got a perfect day. This time it happened the day the last one laid her first egg. The next day I got 2 (boo!) and today I got like 4. We're trying to help them decide to lay in the nest box...that's probably unsettling them a little bit.

I know, before when my group started, it took ages before we got a perfect day. This time it happened the day the last one laid her first egg. The next day I got 2 (boo!) and today I got like 4. We're trying to help them decide to lay in the nest box...that's probably unsettling them a little bit.
On cloud nine!

And then back to reality....

6875CFCE-4993-4F39-82EC-B1EFE71ACC6D.jpeg

Yes. Since the woman he usued to see wasn’t there, his last visit in April was not informative (except that I learned what an idiot the veterinarian was). Within a few days, he had masses throughout his body and was soon limping around. He had several leg injuries as a young dog, so he limped periodically anyway. I didn’t think too much about it first. As far as the masses, I thought the first one was just a fat deposit.
He was having trouble breathing without the air on by about June.
About three weeks ago I thought he was going to die that day. He began making horrible sounds, and was just having too much trouble breathing. He’d been bloating, but that day he looked like roadkill about to explode. The vet was out of the question because I was told just over the phone that it was going to be quite a chunk of money (more than a thousand) for the necessary testing. Not to mention the way the last visit her gone didn’t leave me feeling good about it.
He lived, but it became apparent that he was not going to make it into the fall. As soon as I had to turn off the air-conditioning in exchange for heat, he would stop breathing properly. So I began making plans for September or October (we never know on the east coast). Suddenly on Tuesday he just hit rock bottom. In the middle of the night, he was gasping for breath. In the early morning, it happened again. This continued the next night too. It was one thing when he was going outside or coming in. He should have been okay at night.
Friday morning he seemed kind of okay. I laid him on his back to rub his stomach. Other times he’d breathe funny on a bad day. Friday he was crushed. No noise. No movement. He was not breathing at all.
As far as the “what was going on?” I can only say that it looked like cancer, and a tumor was on his trachea.

Sounds like a vet to stay away from for sure. It certainly doesn't take over a thousand dollars for a thorough checkup... run a blood panel... xrays. There would have been some clues as to what was going in. I am not a fan of extensive treatment for older pets that prolongs death, but it would have been nice for you to have known what was coming. Duckling handling it alright?

She doesn’t actually know yet. She knows that he’s sick, and said that she wanted to say goodbye and give him doggy kisses if she could. I had to let her grandmother keep her this past week though. I was having trouble making final arrangements (did you know that it can cost $400 or more for euthanasia? Cremation is additional), and keeping myself from screaming in emotional anguish. Add in that he was likely to bite her (he was so miserable! I’m sure you understand), and I couldn’t let her be here. I’ll probably get her tomorrow. Then we will see how she feels. I’m guessing it will be fine until she doesn’t have him asking for her food... or eating what she doesn’t want when she thinks I’m not looking. Or cuddling with her in my bed (someone told her about monsters under the bed:rant ).
34D33F4E-512D-4CBD-8DD3-1AA002AA4E27.jpeg E0707973-C0B4-469F-97B0-6A8690DA0F07.jpeg 6DF8E95E-4614-4F21-B220-A8FA5541D970.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom