Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Kian, adorable little chicks. So nice that you have such a good mama, unlike someone we know!

Cheeka, pretty distressing to see a fox hanging around like that. Chances are it's been there more times than you've seen it. You need to borrow Sally's big dog Maggie and put her on guard duty. Maggie will get worn out and will sleep at night, and the fox will look for greener pastures. Wouldn't it be nice if problems were really that easy to solve?

MC, what's the deal? You mean you didn't take your computer to the hotel tonight? I thought we'd be reading updates from the hot tub!!
lol.png

Quote: Very good information. I was kinda thinking I would let the chicks feather out a little bit then try again. I won't let two broodys at once hatch eggs at the same time. Lesson learned there. If I had room to separate them then sure, but thats not the case right now. Of course two "normal" chickens probably wouldn't have any problems. And remember the problem I was telling about big broody and her legs not working right? She couldn't defend those chicks if she wanted to. However she is much, much better and walking really good now. When I first moved them to the floor she could barely stand up. The chicks are just too little to take the pecking right now from another hen. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. Thanks for the information.

Quote: Is it sadder that I was going to bring the chicks, or that I was going to bring Midnight?
Midnight was drinking her bath water. I was also able to walk away to get her a towel, and she stayed in the sink. I think the hot tub would have made her pass an egg.
On another thread it was suggested that a complete lack of blood may indicate egg bound. I can buy that. I can also buy that she hurt her leg, and green poo is from an empty crop. IDK if any empty crop causes that symptom though.
LOL......I knew you could find the humor. Your well on your way to becoming another "Crazy Chicken Lady". Hope Midnight is doing better.

all is quiet in the yard this morning. I got up at dark to watch. I'm certain several predators visit nightly... but there is no easy way in to any of the enclosures, so ...

OK, old BH was the avid hunter... always got one or two coyotes every deer season, and like you, would see a fox from time to time, but never got one (that I remember...) he was a trapper back in the 80's, got them then... I know there are several fox and coyote and bob cat for that matter up here... can't eliminate them all, but I sure would love to cap one! I need a second and maybe a third gun. I have one in the back room of the house. hard to get to quickly... need one for the front room and maybe one for upstairs...

all is quiet in the yard this morning. I got up at dark to watch. I'm certain several predators visit nightly... but there is no easy way in to any of the enclosures, so ...

OK, old BH was the avid hunter... always got one or two coyotes every deer season, and like you, would see a fox from time to time, but never got one (that I remember...) he was a trapper back in the 80's, got them then... I know there are several fox and coyote and bob cat for that matter up here... can't eliminate them all, but I sure would love to cap one! I need a second and maybe a third gun. I have one in the back room of the house. hard to get to quickly... need one for the front room and maybe one for upstairs...

I keep a 22 pistol in my pocket, just a small revolver. The POP would likely scare off anything, the barrel is so short its not accurate unless up close. If its an all day outside day, and all the critters are out, I always take my rifle out tho.

I can never get the multi quote to work for me. THANK YOU everyone for the well wishes :)

She is frequently taking them on field trips to the other side of the coop where she parks herself by the door and intimidates everyone who tries to get inside. Maybe Roger gave her some pointers. We do have another Marans who *thinks* she's going broody but when I take her off the nest, she stays off for most of the day. She hasn't laid in about 8 days now. Come to think of it, maybe Roger talked to her too!
lau.gif
I have pie but I'm not sharing so she can just get over herself!

12 eggs yesterday! sold a bunch, all I have left are pee wee pullet eggs (at least until later today)
Birds Mom is coming home today, which is good... I'm so tired, the extra responsibility is getting to be a bit much. 4 more days of doubles. the carrier I borrow isn't available to help me out this week or next week, but I think everyone understands that I can't help next week. (I think) I could use a break. and i need to clean the house... I've been home so late, by the time I'm finished with animal chores and making supper, it's near to 8 o'clock...

Too bad your not closer cheeka. I would come and help you with the routes. Miss working for the PO. I worked two years as an HC, my grandmother work for 20 years as a rural and was even union stewart. I have a 900 box route.

12 eggs yesterday! sold a bunch, all I have left are pee wee pullet eggs (at least until later today)
Birds Mom is coming home today, which is good... I'm so tired, the extra responsibility is getting to be a bit much. 4 more days of doubles. the carrier I borrow isn't available to help me out this week or next week, but I think everyone understands that I can't help next week. (I think) I could use a break. and i need to clean the house... I've been home so late, by the time I'm finished with animal chores and making supper, it's near to 8 o'clock...

Cheeka, you need a 2 week vacation. One week just wont get it.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom