Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

spotted in the fog, I could see him a little bit better than the camera captured which is unusual, in bad weather, I've taken pics and they come out ever so much clearer than the reality of what I see...

looking at the rooster pen

deciding against it and heading towards the woods... I knocked on the window right after taking this pic and he turned left and went back toward state land rather than my woods...

Here is our final count: 7 out of 8 eggs hatched!! WHOO!!!!

Congratulations.....that is a great hatch rate. Nice pictures.
clap.gif

spotted in the fog, I could see him a little bit better than the camera captured which is unusual, in bad weather, I've taken pics and they come out ever so much clearer than the reality of what I see...

looking at the rooster pen

deciding against it and heading towards the woods... I knocked on the window right after taking this pic and he turned left and went back toward state land rather than my woods...
Not good. A good hunter with caller and a motion decoy might be able to take him out for you. The motion of the decoy can make him drop his guard like he would do if a chicken was present provided he is hungry. Just a suggestion. Foxes are very smart. I killed coyotes but never a fox. I don't hunt either one. But on occasion while deer hunting somebody will get a coyote. But foxes almost never present a opportunity. They know when danger is near.

All four chicks are doing fine. The two Rogers big and little are still in jail. Wings are starting to grow little feathers. Never dreamed how loud the can "Cheep" or how fast they can get around.............OK I gave big Roger some scratch this afternoon.Her chick can't get to the scratch its too high. I feel bad locking them up but don't want the other chicks killed either. It was a pretty aggresive attack. Any suggestions?

Kian, I love the picture with the six lined up ..it's like mommy is instructing them .

The fox would worry me. I hope it's gone for good.
Glad for your good news MC.
We have a poultry show here next weekend ( actually in nj) and I am about to explode with chicken math lol

Kian, adorable little chicks. So nice that you have such a good mama, unlike someone we know!

Cheeka, pretty distressing to see a fox hanging around like that. Chances are it's been there more times than you've seen it. You need to borrow Sally's big dog Maggie and put her on guard duty. Maggie will get worn out and will sleep at night, and the fox will look for greener pastures. Wouldn't it be nice if problems were really that easy to solve?

MC, what's the deal? You mean you didn't take your computer to the hotel tonight? I thought we'd be reading updates from the hot tub!!
lol.png

All four chicks are doing fine. The two Rogers big and little are still in jail. Wings are starting to grow little feathers. Never dreamed how loud the can "Cheep" or how fast they can get around.............OK I gave big Roger some scratch this afternoon.Her chick can't get to the scratch its too high. I feel bad locking them up but don't want the other chicks killed either. It was a pretty aggresive attack. Any suggestions?
First, a disclaimer: no personal experience here. Our hens always took care of the chicks, and chicks that didn't listen to their mamas got eaten by the big dog. Fortunately (or unfortunately) Laura, who lives up the mountain from me, is having similar problems with her multiple broodies, and there has been much discussion on our local. She has a similar set up to you in that her flock does not get much free range time due to predator problems, so available territory is limited. One of her broody hens hates another and will attack both chicks and mother. 3 chicks have been killed. She does have a rooster, but he has not stop the attacks, and isolation cages is helping, but sometimes the chicks get out and the hen can get to them to protect them. She has something like 4 or 5 broodies, and gave them eggs to hatch thinking it would be easier if the hens raised them. Now she is wondering if she has to take them away and brood them herself.

Here were some of the best posts (by ChickNmamma):

Multiple broodies can be a pain. Other hen's chicks are seen as interlopers and attacked. Most hens will do this. The mommy hen should run to the rescue and chase off the attacking bird and call her chicks back to her. I have seen it work after a few tussles.. and I have seen it not work. As long as the chicks stay with the right momma it works. Its when they don't know which hen is their momma that trouble starts... With the ones that it worked best the chicks were about two weeks old when introduced. Old enough to run away from the attacking bird and old enough to know who was their momma.

I hope your girls can settle things without caging them all off. The ones that are wiggling out [of the isolation cage] sound like they are listening to the other mother when she calls.

Yes, that is usually what happens, the chick gets away from where the mother can protect them and the other birds attack them.

You can try removing all the enclosures and watching them. If the hens get into serious killer fights you will have to put the enclosures back. Keep an eye on where the chicks are if the hens fight, that's when they can really get injured. If the hens clash once or twice and back off you will be ok.

Its like roosters fence fighting.. sometimes when they get face to face they change their minds. Sometimes when the hens do this the rooster or another hen will come over and peck everybody down.

I personally would wait at least another couple of days, until the chicks can run away on their own and are used to their own mommie's call.

Sounds like they might only have to stay in jail until the chicks are a week or two old. Chicks grow really quickly and will be a lot bigger and strong in another week and maybe not so much of a soft target.

My broody is still broodyful. Tried taking her off the nest tonight and putting her on the perch. She jumped down and went back in the box, but it was dark! I thought they couldn't see in the dark! She's a very determined fluff ball, and I feel bad not letting her hatch chicks, but it's not gonna happen this year.

what an awesome hatch rate kian! love the little egg tooth chickies!

I'm just in, super ridiculous long day, the mail was an hour and a half late and I had to do a double. I will get those fox pics up in a few. there are zero signs that the fox returned after I left for work, it was early and still really overcast, it was such a likelihood that I was distracted a lot during the day.

13 eggs!
Wonderful news Kian!!! Scary on the fox cheeka, glad no one was foxnapped!

Update.
Midnight is still alive
Baby is not broody
No sneezing has been heard. All birds ran out the door as soon as I opened it, and headed for the food.
Tonight my husband is taking me to a hotel with a hot tub in the room.
woot.gif
hope midnites illness passes.
AWESOME on the hot tub, enjoy!!!

Update.
Midnight is still alive
Baby is not broody
No sneezing has been heard. All birds ran out the door as soon as I opened it, and headed for the food.
Tonight my husband is taking me to a hotel with a hot tub in the room. :woot

Is it sadder that I was going to bring the chicks, or that I was going to bring Midnight?
Midnight was drinking her bath water. I was also able to walk away to get her a towel, and she stayed in the sink. I think the hot tub would have made her pass an egg.
On another thread it was suggested that a complete lack of blood may indicate egg bound. I can buy that. I can also buy that she hurt her leg, and green poo is from an empty crop. IDK if any empty crop causes that symptom though.

Back
Top Bottom