Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Cherry has been back in with the flock for 2 days. I'm not expecting miracles, but any one have any idea when she may start laying again?

And any suggestions to help put weight back on her?

FF will add the weight back. Not to be confused with OVERweight. Also, mixing up some oatmeal with apples and/or bananas and raisins (is making me hungry
droolin.gif
) should work. Be sure she is eating her FF, but treats will help with weight.

So when candling, guess what I saw? Detached air cells.
th.gif
Every single one I could see in.
I am doing what I can. I just put them in the incubator at 3:30. Due date is June 2nd. I added one Am that is a few days old, 2 from the fridge (who knows? Some people get them to hatch) and one mystery egg. Could be a sex link. Could be an EE. Depends on who the father is.
Midnight is the Ameraucana. She apparently has laid recently (as you saw above). She is outside in a coop alone. It is a premade one, with no pop door to shut. She had moved last night, and is now a little more alert. IDK if she has eaten or drunk. I added a ... tarp made of fabric. I can't remember the material. Anyway, it is covering 2 sides, and the third is against the shed.
I need an opinion on tonight and tomorrow. It is getting down to 30*. I can put her in a cat/small dog carrier, or I can leave her where she is. What do you think??
And I have no clue what is wrong with her. I can't imagine she is broody with the way she is acting. It was sudden, she is not egg bound. Not worms or bugs. I can't even see stool, but nothing red.
She was on the floor under the roost 2 nights ago (nothing odd. it happens sometimes) then in the morning she was laying a few feet from the door. She got up, and started walking funny. She complained when I picked her up the first time, I saw the poop on her butt, and put her down. I decided to go ahead, and bath her then (I had more chickens to feed/water). I picked her up, brought her in, and bathed her. She seemed to like it. Complained very little (vocal and flapping). Wasn't crazy about being held after a few minutes. I decided to put her out since it was about 60* and gave her dry towels to keep warm. She moved out of them, and last night I covered her overnight. She uncovered, and is now sitting up some. She is making (calm) noises at me when I talk to her.

16 eggs for the total today, sold 2 dozen, have to bring 2 more dozen with me tomorrow.

MC, I would think that the temperature fluctuation, while extreme... would not be much of a bother to a healthy bird... not really knowing what's going on with yours... I don't know what to suggest other than follow your gut. if you think she should be inside, bring her in. better than worrying all night...
fl.gif

I should knock on my wooden head that my gang is quite healthy. both Olive and Yancy who had head injuries have really healed up. Yancy has her feathers back, Olive has all her lovely skin back, feathers will come soon. Olive has taken a while to heal, hers was so severe tho'... quite remarkable how much they can lose and still come back.

Well happy Mother's Day to all. Long weekend here. Too tired to do much with the girls...and a ton of rain. I always feel guilty and overdo it with treats on days like the last few. Spinach, fresh baby lettuce, strawberry tops, bread, and carrot greens . Oh yeah and scratch.

Girls are grumpy with the rain.

I got cocky. People keep losing birds, and I am thinking it is not the "big deal" I once thought it was. I was still so happy to have no problems.
Midnight is sick. IDK why. She is perkier tonight, but still not right.
Someone had a sneezing fit (LOUD sneezes) this afternoon, and a few quieter sneezes about two hours later (that I know of anyway)
I have a BR in the nestbox. I was supposed to be selling (which turned into swapping for bantams) both BR to lower my numbers. I won't do it if she is broody. I have been waiting too long for this!

I am hoping for a MUCH better day tomorrow.
Night all!

Wishing a belated Mothers day including single dads! The guys get a dual role when moms are gone. and reversed for the girls too! MC hope your sick one pulls thru ok. Last fall, I had a round of something going with all my adult birds. Lethargic, not eating, not laying and weak. They were sneezing too. I was sure I would lose all the chickens. It blew over without loss, but I still don't know what happened. Feel it was all related to the sweet feed oops DD made. Life events sure mess everything up! The birds are so hard to judge, by time we see illness its so far progressed, its hard bringing them back, but you sure can do it if you know what the problem is, usually.
fl.gif
hope she is ok. Push proteins and probotics and wait.

Back
Top Bottom