Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. Chickens1001

Chickens1001 Out Of The Brooder

Actually Golf Balls are a good idea!! That is what my family does sometimes!! It won't bust like the store bought eggs!! They stimulate the hens to lay!!

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Hi Chickens101 [​IMG] I was really surprised to find that chickens can be fooled by golf balls. A broody hen seems to be able to tell if an egg is not developing and will push it out of the nest, but a golf ball will remain. Must be the bad ones smell or something.

Sounds like you have experience waiting for eggs. What kind of chickens do you have?

4. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    TEN [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]TEN.....Today Seven Of Us Laid TEN Eggs

Don't Tell Dad He Thinks Were Great
    He Forgot Them Yesterday Cause It Got Late
    So Double Pie And Scratch Galore
    Ole Fool Thinks Tomorrow...He Will Get 10 More

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    lindz, I get $2 a dozen. it's fair for my area. although, some people charge $2.50 or $3. my folks, who live in Denver, pay $5 a dozen for eggs like ours... and I have a friend from high school out in Central California, she pays $6 at the farmers market. it needs at the least, to cover it's equal daily feeding cost... plus a little extra. it costs me at minimum 85 cents a day to feed my laying hens. most days I get a dozen eggs... so I make enough to pay to feed the girls, and enough to feed the boys so they are not a burden on the budget.

speaking of the boys... W4W , yeah, I have a problem. I love the boys more than the girls... and I adore the girls... I've learned that boys can easily live in pairs or more, the 4 I got from Stillwater live happily together... for now anyway... but pairs have worked here very well...and they free range well together, there is enough space for everyone out in the yard...they have their corners staked out and take turns parading for the hens. I am addicted to the sound of crowing. and now I have pitches ranging from very high tinny comical all the way to deep raspy tough ole bird. it's music to my ears.

we made PIE's today. yes, pieS. pigs got 2 of them and pecked those platters clean! better give us more than 8 Eggs tomorrow for our efforts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I stopped at my favorite farm stand today and the lady asked me if I'd like a watermelon for the little girl... we were surprised to find out that it was yellow inside, her very first! I like the yellow better, more flavorful, like a honeydew... after her treat, I put her in the bathtub, she was SO filthy... I should have hosed her off outside first, she had dirt streams everywhere from the melon... she likes being grubby girl. I had to bring out the germX and a roll of paper towels to wash her hands and face up enough to touch food. she refused to come inside.

6. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    [​IMG]

W4W I wish you the best of luck and hopefully everyone recovers with no long term issues in sight. I am still glad I kept those two little ones in my house for as long as I did until they passed. I worry about that regularly since I have two different flocks still that don't meet.

MC, I am hopeful to have blue again with these CL eggs...I started documenting my incubation with these guys today.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...actually-try-to-do-things-right#post_11861223

We shall see if the gamble of shipped eggs pays off...

In the mean time, here are some pics from today
    [​IMG]
    I look cute, but when your not looking.....
    [​IMG]
    I walked in to this mess after leaving them alone for five minutes while on the phone
    [​IMG]
    Only the oldest cares that I caught them...

[​IMG]
    This is the picture I promised from a few days/week ago of the pins...she is fully feathered and laying as of today .
    [​IMG]
    this is me dropping a tomato on my way to the house...and the attack that occurs in seconds. This is why they follow me around the yard...something might fall at any moment.

[​IMG]
    So Ethel is on the left of this picture, should I think about clipping her wing after yesterday? I don't really believe in altering them for multiple reasons but the biggest being:
    I feel like if I am going to let them free range during the day that they deserve to have the best chance to get away from predators etc.

[​IMG]
    The shipped eggs!

Sorry for all the pictures, I actually had some of the chicks but they are too large for me to upload.

7. Sallysec

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Cheeka sounds like you had another awesome day with Mylee, and I love that she gets down and dirty. I try to get my son in the dirt and he can't stand it and runs away lol.

As for eggs, I know that one of my friends locally sells her eggs to friends for $3 a dozen. I know that there are people at the farmers market selling for $6 though, organic and soy free for around $8-12.

My husband sold a few dozen to co workers for $4 in jersey. [​IMG]

8. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    nice pics! couch cushions are the best!

W4W, I'm hopeful that she maybe just got pecked a bit or got something in her eye... it can means so many things... my friends in the valley, their EE got some puffy eye thing, but it cleared up...[​IMG] the Chicken Chick (Egg Carton Labels by ADozenGirls)... just went through a huge ordeal with a wattle infection that caused her roosters eye to swell...

9. Sallysec

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    I love her facebook! ..Cheeka do you have any issues loading pictures usually?

10. Sallysec

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    I am not really good with the camera and didn't know that my husband had changed the setting to finer settings which basically means halfway through my day of taking pictures the pictures are now too large I guess for me to use...grrrr!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by