Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Mylee is such a treasure! Sounds like she burns out but wants to see it all. Oh my I so miss a lil girl her age.

Mabel (My sweet BR) Has moved over to Bruce's (My new BA roo) coop, she told me is tooo handsome to ignore. Sorry RED, u are losing your ladies...

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Mylee is such a treasure! Sounds like she burns out but wants to see it all. Oh my I so miss a lil girl her age.

Mabel (My sweet BR) Has moved over to Bruce's (My new BA roo) coop, she told me is tooo handsome to ignore. Sorry RED, u are losing your ladies...

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Wow, your place looks great! I have a serious case of green grass envy... nothing but dry, dry, dry here. That run is awesome, but I bet the hens would like a nest box out there rather than venture back across the open yard.

My girls range in a 60 x60' fenced off portion of the yard that has a few large fruit trees. I planted some strawberry guava and a loquat to give them more cover. They mostly stay under cover. Not sure if they are attracted to the shade or if it's self preservation. I've got some pomegranate starts ready to go in this fall when it starts raining (if it starts raining [​IMG]).

Is Rebel an adult rooster? Just wondering if his hormones have settled yet. Does he treat all the hens the same, or is he just picking on a few? Very strange, and so unnecessary, for him to be so aggressive toward the hens. Glad he's spending some time in the clink!

Your fair sounds so nice and wholesome. A lot of the guys that run the carnival rides out here are pretty unsavory characters, and I'm generally hard to intimidate, but I would not allow young teens into the carnival without keeping an eye on them. Oh, that and the gang activity in the evenings. [​IMG] They've really cracked down on this, but these days it's like going through airport security just to get into the county fair. What a world! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century.

Keep up the Mylee updates. That's how it should be! [​IMG]

Haha! Good doggie. Those ducklings grew in the bottom pic, and so many! They're so vulnerable on the ground at that stage and need a good protector. Mustacheio wants ducks now, [​IMG] the little Call ducks that are so adorable. We'll see how his grades are this first quarter...
    Looks like an Akita or a white GS?

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I have a really odd one I thought was a pekin egg.

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    Sally, certain settings on the camera will give the use the option of choosing the size of the file, the larger the file, the better detail, but it needs to be compressed afterward on the computer to upload to certain sites. if you hunt around in the program you use for photos, you should find the compress function... or crop the photos into several smaller shots and they will be smaller files automatically. I have issues with uploading once in a while, but it usually doesn't have to do with file size... unless it's a video. I love the Chicken Chick too... she's so thorough... and her birds are gorgeous...

6. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    [​IMG]Woowoo Cheeka, I followed your suggestion and here is a picture of the little ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG] very cool Sally! he looks like (3rd pic) he's saying "c'mon you can do it"

Mylee is throwing a tantrum because she's overheated and overtired and I won't let her go back outside for an hour. she's stomping around upstairs screeching... it's so hard to ignore... but if I pay the slightest bit of attention, she gets worse. she'll fall asleep soon [​IMG]

8. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Well, I went out this morning and before I could get from the back door of the coop, over to the nesting boxes, Clarabelle was out in the yard! I took advantage to check for eggs, and there was still just the 2 that I put under her last night. Then went back down at noon and there are no more eggs in the other boxes....hmm..... check under her and there are 3!!!! Two small and a large, plus Amelia was hanging out close to the coop like she was wanting to lay, but there was already a small egg this morning.... I guess we shall see if someone is being sneaky and laying without us knowing! Looking at the black cochin chicks, the larger 2 are already as big as Clarabelle and their combs/wattles are redder than Amelia's so I guess it could be them laying.... Not really sure ages on them anyway just knew they were this springs hatchlings, so it was going to be a big surprise when they laid from the beginning!

9. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    my new little OEG is a mean little guy. he's great with people and with his little buddy the Dutch something or other... and he's decent with the large fowl hens, but he is true to his breed... he was fighting with one of the feather footed banty boys, Mylee came running to get me, saying they're fighting Omi! come save the day! well, both are exhausted and both have bloodied combs, but the feather footed boy lost the battle, he was overheating fast. I put him directly in their drinking water bucket, if I dipped his beak, he would drink, but otherwise he just floated there with his eyes closed. after a full minute, maybe longer... he snapped out of it! he took a great long drink and then he really wanted out of the bucket. so rather than have him waste precious energy... I carried him to the apple coop and he's resting in the coolest corner. I dunked the OEG just for good measure... but I used Mylee's kiddie pool water - it was a lot colder than the drinking bucket (which has been refreshed...) he seemed to like it... and he's locked back up. Mylee knows not to let him out anymore. don't know if I can keep him... I'd like to... I might try free ranging him with the big boys. he has room to escape if they come after him. knowing him, he'll start the fight.

10. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by