Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Dutch is a bantam breed that doesn't have a large breed counterpart. The signs of a Dutch are the white ear lobes and blue legs, and also the way he holds his wings down to hide his hocks. He isn't one of the accepted colors (as of 2001) which lists silver, light brown, and blue light brown. Full grown roo will be a whopping 21 ounces. He's very cute. Is he better behaved than the OEGB? I have to return my SOP to the library tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Lindz sorry to hear about your flock[​IMG]. That sounds like a nightmare kind of day. I hope whatever got them is gone, but I am sure your going to be extra alert tomorrow. This reminds me of another forum thread OK had that had me following him when I first got on BYC about predators. It also makes me think of ACW.

I hope everyone else had a better day. How is the egg hatching experiment going?

W4W how is the eye? I thought I noticed a pink comb today rather then a bright red...I scrubbed everything down and segregated her.. Everyone else is looking good.

We have work on the shed coop today (woohoo). I have my sister coming into town tomorrow with my 7 year old niece. She is so psyched about meeting chickens.

My dog Maggie is acting up again...remember a few months back when I had to let her sleep in my bedroom? Basically the same behavior....but now my hubby is home and he doesn't budge on her having to sleep in her crate. Which means she is back to her 'alerting' bark or sitting outside until all hours of the night.

3. Sallysec

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Hey Lindz, I was checking in with someone and I ended up reading some of her blog again and I came upon something interesting to what you mentioned about fat....and it sounds like its good...
    http://rarechickens.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down to the part Saturday dec 9th "do you cook for your chickens"

Might be worth it for you to do what you thought was right [​IMG]

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    LOL earplugs!

Ugh yep I get a guilt trip on every Roo from my DDs

[​IMG] Mylee will be a fantastic chicken mom someday

[​IMG] sending good hatch vibes!

5. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    10 days to go on the hatching countdown. RK broody is a rock solid broody hen. Consider this. Since she has gone broody three weeks ago I have not caught her one time off of her nest of eggs. It I didn't know better I would think her legs have been cut off. Not even once. I know she has to eat and drink. But her determination and dedication is unbelievable. Reminds me I need to go check on my eggs that I am hatching. [​IMG]

6. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    RK Broody Sitting So Tight...
    Upon Your Eggs Both Day And Night
    Away From The Flock That You Must Fear...
    Your Magic Day Is Almost Here
    And On That Day You Will Begin...
    A Brand New Life As A Proud Mommy Hen

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    OK, lil RK Broody will be such a changed bird after her chicks come. and once her babies are grown, they should help defend her from the rest of the flock... unless you get all roos... then they'll mount her [​IMG]

W4W, Dutch and OEGB get along great, Dutch dominates OEGB oddly enough... so that's why. I feel bad for feather foot... he took a beating, he was totally fine after about an hours rest in the apple coop. but I felt terrible. I won't let that happen again. I'll test OEGB with the big boys one day soon.
    Dutch is an absolute sweety. he doesn't bother anyone, and he really got into a dust bath yesterday, he's a great fit with the gang. so gentle, that he lets Mylee catch him and hold him for long periods. so even tho' he's not to the SOP of anything, he's gorgeous and staying. not so sure about the OEGB for the long term... I need another pen! Craig's List here I come! (well, after work...)

8. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Went down this morning to let everyone out (I will be outside more often today.) I had to wash out feeders and waterers, and while I was down there Amelia laid her egg, which I put directly under Clarabelle. That makes 3 small eggs and 1 large egg under her. I may put tomorrows under her too, but that will be the last. I don't think she will be able to cover any more. I was looking at everyone and trying to figure out what I am going to do about a rooster. I contacted the guy that I got Doodle and the girls off of, and he thinks he may have an extra Blk. Cochin Roo. Before I tell him for sure I want it, I need your all's expertise... LOL

This is a fair chick that my dad had.... I am thinking it may be an Australope. I just can't decide if it is a pullet or cockerel. This is the one that is afraid of everything, and everyone in the coop! I can't get close enough to get a good look at feathers much. I do know that they aren't as "sharp" looking as Doodle's were, but I don't know that they are as rounded as some of the girls' either. I haven't heard anything but cheeping from it either. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sallysec

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    How old is it?

10. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I am going to guess about 9-12 weeks. But not really sure. It is just a little smaller than my G. Comets and they are 13 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by