Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Hi all, just got in and its late (we spent the weekend near galax va, it was beautiful and nice to get away but I am exhausted and the new job starts at 8AM tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your losses lindz, I will catch up on everyone else and 79 posts tomorrow. OK I hope the babies are doing well with their broody mama.

Checked on my incubator when I got in ...10 of 14 still going strong maybe 11...

Hi all, just got in and its late (we spent the weekend near galax va, it was beautiful and nice to get away but I am exhausted and the new job starts at 8AM tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your losses lindz, I will catch up on everyone else and 79 posts tomorrow. OK I hope the babies are doing well with their broody

Checked on my incubator when I got in ...10 of 14 still going strong maybe 11...

You were about 20 minutes from me. Were you at the Hillsville flea market?

Last edited:
We just spent the weekend in woodlawn. I drove to the hillsville flea market on sunday at like 8 am and stayed until close to noon. First time, one of the neighbors told me I couldn't miss it so the whole family went. We ended up having lunch after at the shoneys. I just saw your location..My uncle has a place in Laurel springs I think...gotta check a map. I have only been there once and he has another place in boone.

So I said I was going to bed and instead have read through all 79 posts, you guys are so addicting.

Ok the babies look incredible and the hatch rate is AMAZING for shipped eggs. Congrats to you and RK Broody.

Sully good luck with the girls and maybe you will get some eggs soon, I would def. go back to layer feed and offer some oyster shell if you try to finish out the grower food. Maybe they are laying soft shelled eggs and eating them?

Quote:
As long as the dogs are licensed, animal control knows who owns them. Everything is computerized. Heck, the local vet probably knows who owns those dogs! Such a shame this is happening. I am really so sorry for you AND the chickens. I am sorry for the dogs too. Huskies are beautiful, strong, and too expensive to let them run loose! The owners don't seem to care about them. I am 100% for making them pay for the damage. I hope you are reporting all incidents.

I agree...write down the dates and times etc...there might also be a pattern to when the owners are letting them loose and that might help you to protect the chickens and be ready and waiting..even if you get a picture of them walking onto your property that would be great to help find the owners etc..ask some neighbors . My guess would be someone local will know exactly where they belong.

even with watching them... OK's right, I lose one now and then... and I don't let them out if it's too cloudy or more than a reasonable chance for rain. I have tricks to get them back in quickly if I need to, but using those tricks too often will lead to ineffectiveness... I fill the dome with the mowed clippings and definitely bag leaves for Winter use - the town has a dump a few miles from me where leaves and wood chips are dumped. I take tubs and a shovel down and fill up for free. I like to give them a lot of stuff to do when I can't let them out. and they are completely spoiled when it comes to food. they will never go hungry. today we made a humongous feed/seed pie for everyone, there were tomato scraps, soft pears and a couple of half eaten apples and I have a cantaloupe that got soft on us to give out tomorrow... bummer about the melon, it's my favorite. the Pie yielded 15 Eggs for the day, out of 18 which is great! Peach is not laying again yet, and I'm getting stoked to get new eggs from her last round of chicks, they are getting on 14-15 weeks old, Hopefully by the end of October...

lindz so sorry to hear more chickens got killed. And all your cochins are gone?
sad.png
Terrible. The dog issue is a tough one, because most folks think that shooting them will be the end of the problem, but in a way, it only punishes the dog. The owners get off without any penalties and will just continue the cycle with new replacement dogs. I'm surprised the animal control folks don't take this a little more seriously. I agree with MC that they could easily find out who owns two huskies in your area. They would certainly make the effort to track down a dog that bit a person. Maybe you need to be the squeaky wheel that gets them moving. They should help you find the owners so you can get compensated for damages (the cost to replace the type of chicken at the age you lost them plus expenses for your time- it's what small claims court is all about!). I don't think people who let their dogs run will be inclined to change their ways unless it costs them something not to.

That being said, sounds like shooting them might be necessary. I would be worried about my kids being out and having strange dogs run on the property. Fences are great, wouldn't live without them, but we've had dogs in the past that could scale a 6 ft fence with ease, and last year we had two very large pit bulls come straight through the fence into our yard. Luckily the chickens were still locked up when it happened. The neighbors tried to pretend they weren't home when I went to tell them they needed to fix the fence. Ha! Didn't work!

People who let their dogs run rank right up there with lowlifes who dump their trash along the roadway, graffiti hoodlums, and nit-wits who take soda at the fast food joint when they haven't paid for it (often with their kids watching). These types of low level, thoughtless pseudo-criminals really burn me up. I almost have more respect for thieves and housebreakers. At least they're honest about being criminals.

lindz so sorry to hear more chickens got killed.  And all your cochins are gone? :(   Terrible. The dog issue is a tough one, because most folks think that shooting them will be the end of the problem, but in a way, it only punishes the dog.  The owners get off without any penalties and will just continue the cycle with new replacement dogs.  I'm surprised the animal control folks don't take this a little more seriously.  I agree with MC that they could easily find out who owns two huskies in your area.  They would certainly make the effort to track down a dog that bit a person.  Maybe you need to be the squeaky wheel that gets them moving.  They should help you find the owners so you can get compensated for damages (the cost to replace the type of chicken at the age you lost them plus expenses for your time-  it's what small claims court is all about!).  I don't think people who let their dogs run will be inclined to change their ways unless it costs them something not to.

That being said, sounds like shooting them might be necessary.  I would be worried about my kids being out and having strange dogs run on the property.  Fences are great, wouldn't live without them, but we've had dogs in the past that could scale a 6 ft fence with ease, and last year we had two very large pit bulls come straight through the fence into our yard.  Luckily the chickens were still locked up when it happened.  The neighbors tried to pretend they weren't home when I went to tell them they needed to fix the fence.  Ha!  Didn't work!

People who let their dogs run rank right up there with lowlifes who dump their trash along the roadway, graffiti hoodlums, and nit-wits who take soda at the fast food joint when they haven't paid for it (often with their kids watching).  These types of low level, thoughtless pseudo-criminals really burn me up.  I almost have more respect for thieves and housebreakers.  At least they're honest about being criminals.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom