Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

You'll get lots of eggs from those chickens.  All good layers.  Well, don't know about the Silkies, I've never had them.  Are they really chickens?  Not some barnyard cross with a bunny?  :bun :lol: I suppose some day I'll have to get a few to see what they're like.  Almost everything I've read about them says they're really sweet.  So sorry about Fluffernutter and his girls.  You had him setup for a really enjoyable life, and I imagine it was a very good life for the time he had, which counts for a lot in my book.

LOL Wishing4wings! All my girls have such different personalities and it shows more as they are getting mature, especially since starting egg laying prep. The Silkies like being held (don't like getting caught) but relax quicker than the others after I catch 'em. Their look is so different, but not too crazy and they're so soft! Thanks for the nice thoughts about Fluffernutter & girls.
Still waiting on these great egg layers, I'd like to get started on the egg laying part of all this work :~)

I would like your opinions. We got some bantams this spring and they should start laying in another few weeks or so. Some have told us their eggs are too small to eat, and other people say it just takes more of them. What do you all think. The bantams we got are EEs, Welsummers, and Silkies. So, will we be able to eat the eggs, or will they be too small?

Thanks and have a great night.

Hi unkljim. Bantams do lay small eggs, but they are perfectly edible. You will need to use more in some recipes and to make an omelet, but the yolks tend to be larger for the size of the egg, so they are quite yummy. Most bantams lay proportionately bigger eggs, compared to their body size, than some of the larger breeds of chickens. They also eat significantly less feed, so are cheaper to keep. Quail eggs are even smaller than bantam eggs, and they are very popular. I know a lady who makes mini deviled eggs with them and everyone raves about them (plus they're cute!).

We have a few Serama, the smallest breed of chicken (under a pound each live weight) and the pullet lays a tiny perfect egg. You can see how small it is. None of those other eggs are jumbo sized either!

6 Serama eggs (in a small custard dish) are about equal to 1 jumbo egg. Your bantams will probably lay larger than these, maybe 3 to equal a jumbo egg. So no, they are not too small to eat. These were delicious!

You're going to have a very pretty egg basket too - green, terracotta, and cream. Hope you show us some pictures when they arrive.

Enjoy! And welcome!
frow.gif

Thanks for all the input. We will keep you posted on when the eggs start coming and will try to post some pics. The chicks are 17 wks old today. We have 8 bantams altogether. We keep a Blue Silkie roo, 2 blue Silkie pullets, and a white Silkie pullet in one coop. In the other we have a pair of bantam Welsummers, and 2 bantam EE pullets. We have had a lot of fun raising them. The wife has them spoiled. Not me, but the wife.
big_smile.png

I would like your opinions. We got some bantams this spring and they should start laying in another few weeks or so. Some have told us their eggs are too small to eat, and other people say it just takes more of them. What do you all think. The bantams we got are EEs, Welsummers, and Silkies. So, will we be able to eat the eggs, or will they be too small?

Thanks and have a great night.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the input. We will keep you posted on when the eggs start coming and will try to post some pics. The chicks are 17 wks old today. We have 8 bantams altogether. We keep a Blue Silkie roo, 2 blue Silkie pullets, and a white Silkie pullet in one coop. In the other we have a pair of bantam Welsummers, and 2 bantam EE pullets. We have had a lot of fun raising them. The wife has them spoiled. Not me, but the wife.
big_smile.png
I love my wellie eggs, they are beautiful. The Silkies I think take a little longer to get to point of lay. So you might be waiting a bit longer.

Thanks everyone, I didn't feel like quotes from all 23 comments lol so I am going to sum it up.
Yep that was at the wedding. That field was right next to the barn we had dinner it. The service was held behind that field between a few others...I didn't get pictures of the fields just the bride over there. I love his upset face...its silly but I feel like the angry faces or moments are easier to remind me of what exactly was going on. I once framed a series of three pictures of my niece balling in tears sitting at the end of my hospital bed. She was so angry that everyone was holding the "new baby (my son)" and she just couldn't understand (she was 2). I loved the shot, she just looked adorable even with the crying. The next picture was a picture of her holding my brothers hand and leaving the room. She was happy with him because he didn't hold that 'new baby'. The last shot was the two of them sitting in my room eating cheetos they had gotten from the vending machine. When my sister saw the photos she laughed so hard and asked for a copy. She keeps it on her desk at work. We both have twisted minds I guess.

Roger I seriously had no idea what Lucy was doing on the slide, I thought maybe she wanted a push
wink.png
, If she is caught up there again she might just get a push.

Eggs haven't shipped...I think I am more anxious for these eggs then my girls laying eggs.

Also bad news....I am pretty sure my new yellow chick is a boy.

Do you see what I see? MY FIRST EGG!!!

Here comes Henrietta back in the coop after I got her first egg...

I am sooooo excited!!! And it's a good size too! I feel like a little kid looking for Easter eggs every day, anticipating the find, today I finally got the rush, it's here, it's here, it's here! Woo hoo Henrietta! You go girl! Now I'm doing the egg dance!

Back
Top Bottom