Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

That is so AWESOME!!!
ya.gif
What a lucky boy!

Yes, buy eggs.
DH and I eat them for b-fast "every" day, we all have them on most Sundays, plus we bake.
Once we're getting enough eggs to cover b-fast, we'll adjust our egg use in our baking.
Welcome TeaChick! Once you get used to the taste of yummy fresh eggs from your own chickens, you won't want the store bought ones anymore (except maybe for baking). My 12 yr old son could barely choke down his restaurant eggs on one of our rare breakfasts out. He had only had home grown eggs for about 6 months prior to that, and got used to the delicious eggy flavor. Wish you could have seen his face when he took a bite of those pathetically pale eggs!
sickbyc.gif
Hehehe! Funny though it was, it was also very gratifying that all the effort we've put into our little flock is appreciated.

Besides your cute white frizzle, what kind of chickens do you have? Oh, also, on this thread, pie is not exactly the kind of pie people eat, but is made especially for our feathered friends. I'll try to go back in the thread and find a picture for you.
smile.png

Quote: BSL= black sex link, yes? They are usually really good layers once they get going. It is kind of late in the year and the lack of daylight means that their hormones are not being stimulated well. Hopefully you won't have to wait until next year! Your 9 weekers probably won't start until late winter or early spring, but when they do, you'll get eggs straight through until first molt in the fall. Not a bad deal! Oh, and if you have a rooster with the pullets, they often won't squat for people. You might notice her squatting for the rooster though. (If he's old enough, that is.) We'll keep you company while you wait!
yippiechickie.gif

I sold my first dozen (with 2 extras!) of hatching eggs today! A lady was looking for local for her incubator. Told her what I had, turns out she loves crazy looking chickens too, she has silkies *snickers* :)

I sold her frizzled EE and frizzled BR. I can't wait to see how the hatch goes!!!! *squee*

Welcome TeaChick! Once you get used to the taste of yummy fresh eggs from your own chickens, you won't want the store bought ones anymore (except maybe for baking). My 12 yr old son could barely choke down his restaurant eggs on one of our rare breakfasts out. He had only had home grown eggs for about 6 months prior to that, and got used to the delicious eggy flavor. Wish you could have seen his face when he took a bite of those pathetically pale eggs!
sickbyc.gif
Hehehe! Funny though it was, it was also very gratifying that all the effort we've put into our little flock is appreciated.

Besides your cute white frizzle, what kind of chickens do you have? Oh, also, on this thread, pie is not exactly the kind of pie people eat, but is made especially for our feathered friends. I'll try to go back in the thread and find a picture for you.
smile.png

BSL= black sex link, yes? They are usually really good layers once they get going. It is kind of late in the year and the lack of daylight means that their hormones are not being stimulated well. Hopefully you won't have to wait until next year! Your 9 weekers probably won't start until late winter or early spring, but when they do, you'll get eggs straight through until first molt in the fall. Not a bad deal! Oh, and if you have a rooster with the pullets, they often won't squat for people. You might notice her squatting for the rooster though. (If he's old enough, that is.) We'll keep you company while you wait!
yippiechickie.gif
Yep black sex link. I didn't know that about the rooster and yep he is definitely old enough...she hasn't been happy about it but he's been fertilizing her lots. I hope I don't have to separate them (they really have been buddies since I got them 2 months ago). There is always somewhat of a possibility that she has laid an egg and that I haven't found it yet (they free range a good portion of the day, but I have checked all her favorite spots and so far nada) Thanks! I will enjoy waiting here with everyone. (I am still reading through this thread trying to catch up...maybe by the time I do I'll have an egg!
fl.gif
)

I sold my first dozen (with 2 extras!) of hatching eggs today! A lady was looking for local for her incubator. Told her what I had, turns out she loves crazy looking chickens too, she has silkies *snickers*
smile.png

I sold her frizzled EE and frizzled BR. I can't wait to see how the hatch goes!!!! *squee*
Those sound so cool!
droolin.gif

Yep black sex link. I didn't know that about the rooster and yep he is definitely old enough...she hasn't been happy about it but he's been fertilizing her lots. I hope I don't have to separate them (they really have been buddies since I got them 2 months ago). There is always somewhat of a possibility that she has laid an egg and that I haven't found it yet (they free range a good portion of the day, but I have checked all her favorite spots and so far nada) Thanks! I will enjoy waiting here with everyone. (I am still reading through this thread trying to catch up...maybe by the time I do I'll have an egg!
fl.gif
)
If she's submitting to the rooster, then she is at point of lay. Have you ever seen her inspecting the nest boxes? Try putting some decoy eggs or golf balls in there so she gets the idea. If you really want to find out, leave her locked up for a few days.

Ack! I gotta go get hubby. He's back from China tonight
ya.gif
His airporter bus gets up here in about 25 minutes, and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there. Gotta go!

If she's submitting to the rooster, then she is at point of lay. Have you ever seen her inspecting the nest boxes? Try putting some decoy eggs or golf balls in there so she gets the idea. If you really want to find out, leave her locked up for a few days.

Ack! I gotta go get hubby. He's back from China tonight
ya.gif
His airporter bus gets up here in about 25 minutes, and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there. Gotta go!
I will try the golf ball & then if nothing I will lock her in for a few days. I haven't noticed her doing any checking but I gonna keep a closer eye (my new additions have kept me busy, but I will make extra time for my girl)
lol It's so easy to get on here & lose track of time! Drive safe!

Back
Top Bottom