Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

YaY for boodies!!!
celebrate.gif

So, I am attempting to integrate the 3 month old NYD chicks with the big girls, and it seems to be going relatively well, except that George is so timid. But, I am wondering, how many nights will I have to go out and abduct the chicks from the grow out coop where they have snuck in and roosted, and replace them in the big girl coop? I suppose I should just leave all the chickens in the big girl coop and little run and not let the free range, but George is so frightened. I had to evict her from the nest box today. I believe she huddled in there all day and Hattie ended up laying her egg out in the run, where it was broken and eaten. After I got home today, I made them a rather unpretentious second next box out of a kitty litter bucket so there would be one available. I hate for poor George to be so intimidated, but Astrid is definitely sticking up for her, and I believe at this point it is her temperament, not her age. The older girls have accepted Astrid, the baby roo, and I am afraid he will turn on George because she is not fitting in. It's like a bunch of middle schoolers.

Maybe I should make more hideyholes for her?

I am concerned that by grabbing the rooster every night, I am going to make him mean, and I am afraid to close up the grow out coop when they free range because she will pick some bizarre place to roost for the night and I won't find her before the dogs do. If I just leave them all in the big girl coop and run, will the older hens get bored and start whaling on George? For three nights, now, I have crept out at night and abducted the NYD chicks and put them on the roost in the big girl coop.

So I have 3 chicks that seem to be the same type. One has a very small comb.

Two if them have bigger, Pinker combs.

the flash washed out the color in that one.

here they are together

Not the best pic if small comb. I am starting to wonder if maybe the bigger comb ones are little boys...

So I have 3 chicks that seem to be the same type. One has a very small comb.

Two if them have bigger, Pinker combs.

the flash washed out the color in that one.

here they are together

Not the best pic if small comb. I am starting to wonder if maybe the bigger comb ones are little boys...

I'm by no means an expert but my official vote is "who knows"!!! I had 2 BCM at that age w 1 being much bigger and having a redder/bigger comb. But they turned out to be both girls!

Edited cause I'm an idiot and embedded my comment in the wrong spot! :)

Last edited:
Whoops, integrating is just something that takes time. if you want them all together, you need to stick to your plan and keep moving them, eventually they remember where they live at night... it may only take a few more days. George will adapt too, but may, because of her personality, be at the bottom. Astrid should not turn on her regardless of her position, and their bond may help her fit in with the rest of the flock. give her spots to safely tuck away and hide, it won't take much longer!

okay - I was mostly worried about Astrid turning on her, but, if that is unlikely, than that eases my mind. He is a good protector, right now. I added another nest box and I will make more hiding spots this weekend. Poor thing - I hate that she is so intimidated. But, I did see her snuggling with Hecate on the roost last night.

Back
Top Bottom