Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

winter

lau.gif

I well remember waiting for Isis to lay her egg, my guess was February during an ice storm. I didn't have to wait that long... and neither will you mortie, well... except for the Ameraucana's...
tongue2.gif

D.gif
jumpy.gif

That's not exactly the word I was looking for....but the W word will do.

I talked to the breeder about the ameracaunas. I hear a lot of different things about breeder vs hatchery, etc so I wondered when her birds typically start laying. She said 23-25 weeks. They look like teenagers to me. Combs just barely starting to get pink and they are still little punks. They don't have that more mature hen look yet. Wilson and Maggie are masters of that look. Penny just looks empty headed.

mortie, some of my EE's that are 19 months 2 weeks old, been laying for a year plus, are still pink in the face and comb. they just are pink period. not red. so maybe they'll be pink too.
I'll find a few photos tomorrow if you remind me...
old.gif

[COLOR=800080]The heat is dragging us down. I put a sunbrella over the coop and a mister over the pen. The flock is under the trees resting. Cold grapes for treats. My poor chickens......[/COLOR] :(

I can relate, we have been 100+ degrees every day but 2 for the past 3 weeks. I went from an average of 12-14 eggs per week, to this past 10 days only getting 4-6 per week. I am on day 5 of 0 eggs :(

So, I finally got my computer working properly and trip pictures downloaded from our trip. Can you guess where we went?

Mortie, WARNING! You may want to avert your eyes! Some of the following pictures contain wintery scenes with rain, snow, ice, and glaciers (even though it was technically summer).

Some highlights:
Bald Eagles in the rain

Orcas (13 in this pod!) in the rain

4 Humpbacks feeding in the rain

Bye-bye Humpbacks

We also went kayaking in the pouring rain, but no pics on this camera.

Home-away-from-home

Like a floating hotel

Finally a sunny day!

All were craving some sunshine.

A dirty glacier

Ice dropping off a glacier

That was our Alaska cruise.

Gotta go! Dark out and broody Matilda did not make it back to the coop!
sad.png

Oh Mortie, that truly sucks.

Hey, on the predictions for your first egg, was it you guessed July 27? If I'm remembering right, that's the same day She-who-must-not-be-named is supposed to lay her egg for the year. If that's the case, it's an auspicious day for egg laying and I have great expectations!
tongue.png

I thought she was due June 27th. I might have remembered wrong. Probably did, I am gettin old.

I picked July 27th because it was my due date with my youngest. 7-27-07.

Back
Top Bottom