Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I have a new layer! I found a small brown egg in the small coop this morning. I'm guessing it may be one of the golden cuckoo marans. It is just a tad darker than the comet eggs! The two blue Cochin pullets should start laying soon but their eggs will be a dark cream color. I have several marans x EE and marans x Golden comet that could start laying soon too. The BCM hen from fall 2013 still isn't laying and seems to be in a stalled molt. She has pin feathers on her head and has had for almost two months. I'm going to give her until the end of April then if she hasn't started by then I will probably cull her.
Cheeka I am going to try to get pictures of the upcoming layers so you can give me guesstimates on when they will lay! ( for the new comers she is amazing at predicting first eggs!) ;)

Hope you all have had a great weekend!

YAY RUMPLES!

hooray for new layers and old layers resuming! we're having a very warm, rainy day... near 50 degrees. but it's so foggy and misty out I don't trust the fox to not be hiding in the nearby woods waiting for a tasty chicken dinner!

thanks for the compliments on my babies - and yes, those first two are Easter Eggers... the only one who might start a molt is tiny bantam Marans Esther. she's 18 months old now and just quit laying over the last few days. she lives in the Dome, which is a pretty warm space, but we'll have temps in the low teens to single digits all next week so I think Winter will have it's grip on us for months on end... not a good time to be running around nekked. everyone else is fully re-feathered and looking splendid.

I AM an enabler... relentless and persistent! I want to see pics of everyone's flocks and love guesstimating laying dates! I'm now waiting on Silkie mix Cressa's first egg and the BO/EE that just got named Frankie's first egg too. I bet that they will lay very near to one another despite the Silkie being a full 3 weeks older. I'm fixing my guess at 1/27!! Cressa's egg should be little browner from her RIR mixed heritage and Frankie's should be a nice pale green.

Rumples egg color is the same as always. I wasn't sure if she or Lil Bit was laying the blue/green egg. Since Lil Bit is banned from Rumps pen, I am certain that Rump is laying. It seems that Lil Bit and Minnie P lay identical bright blue eggs.

Got snow?

Oh I need to take pic of the flock. I think one of the Americans is laying as I'm getting a blue egg every now and then. It could be an EE but it looks brighter than I remember.

Well out of the 11 polish babies I'm calling 6 of them as boys and will be culling them all next week unless someone on my local thread wants them. Lucky has been too well behaved so I'd hate to disturb that balance by adding another boy. Plus I just don't need another. I don't really want lucky but he's a good boy so gets to stay.

Rainy and warm here today so I let the girls out for some bug hunting as we too are going to get into the single digits...

Off to go take pictures.

Ahhhhh I have mites! I saw some on an egg so checked butts tonight and saw them. I wouldn't say it's an infestation yet as not all chickens had them and I didn't see any on the roosts or anywhere else. However everybody got their vents dusted w wood ash and de. Thankfully it'll be cold this week so I'll save all the ash we get. Next weekend they'll get a full body bath and I'll clean and dust the coop as well as coat the roosts w coconut oil. Hopefully that'll be enough at this point in time.

You'll need to be proactive to get rid of them. If you've got any on your eggs, or have seen them on the chickens, it's an infestation. You'll need to completely strip down and clean the coop, dust the coop and flock, and repeat again a week to 10 days later, and maybe even a third time.

Ahhhhh I have mites! I saw some on an egg so checked butts tonight and saw them. I wouldn't say it's an infestation yet as not all chickens had them and I didn't see any on the roosts or anywhere else. However everybody got their vents dusted w wood ash and de. Thankfully it'll be cold this week so I'll save all the ash we get. Next weekend they'll get a full body bath and I'll clean and dust the coop as well as coat the roosts w coconut oil. Hopefully that'll be enough at this point in time.
coconut oil will not get rid of mites. DE will not either.

You'll need to be proactive to get rid of them. If you've got any on your eggs, or have seen them on the chickens, it's an infestation. You'll need to completely strip down and clean the coop, dust the coop and flock, and repeat again a week to 10 days later, and maybe even a third time.
Start there and see if it works. If not let me know.

Back
Top Bottom