Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

No, its not the phone rings in the shower or buying eggs.  Its how much you want them to lay.  The more anxious you are the longer they'll hold out.  Go out to them and say "I don't care if you never lay an egg".  Say it with meaning for a couple of weeks and sure enough they'll believe you, and start to lay.
Ha ha...I did that to my rooster because I wanted chicks, I told him he was to rusty for those hens and I would have to replace him...let's just say he put on a show right in front of me before feeding time was done. I give my hens laying pellets and Oyster shell mixed and get eggs almost daily. Of course they go in the bator for now...so I am still buying store eggs.

about halfway through

We didn't even get to see it before this. Hidden behind a ridge.
The shadowed part looked reddish.

almost done

Telescope turns the image upside down.

If you tell him that while eating a bucket of KFC, he will do an encore to your show!   What breeds do you have?  How many chicks are you planning on?
I have coronation Sussex, and Cochin bantams, those are my stock I'm hatching, then I bought hatching eggs. I hatched out , Spec Sussex, RIR, Leghorns,Lav Orps, they are 3 weeks old, I have Coronation Sussex, lav orps, Cochin bantam, blue laced red wydonnete bantam, leghorn, amerucauna,Sulmtalers GDW,in the bator now, I am expecting a small hatch starting Friday, and for the next 21 days after that I will have hatches in various stages. My hubby has been busy building my pens. After this hatch I prolly won't hatch out anymore until spring. Although hatching eggs are always tempting to buy for new breeds. Lol

Quote:
Wow! That's a lot of birds. Now I'm curious. Are these for personal pleasure or are you starting up a breeding business?

Your hubby must be a prince.
smile.png

I had to look up the coronation sussex, very nice looking. What is GDW?

I had a massive lavender Orp, but it turned into a cockerel, so I had to let him go.

By the way, we looooove pictures on this thread! HINT HINT
wink.png

made the big move tonight.

Royce and his 6 hens are in the dome. they are fine. he's roosting on prime territory with Dome girls and his hens are on the new large flat roost in the front that I installed just for them.

Dutch, Brutus and Bantam Marans Esther are in the end pen formerly occupied by Henry, Red, Max, Harris, Portia, Thelma and Louise, who have been moved to Royce's old space. Gretel should have joined them, but she wouldn't let me catch her, of course... I could do that now, but she's fine and so am I... anyway, Neffy, Gretel, Mama Cressa and her 3 chicks, Mama Gossy and her 11 chicks, Esther, Dutch and Brutus are together and fine. the only ones not moved are Julius and Junebug. they will be moved tomorrow. so now, I have the Dome, all large fowl and the Back Pen, all bantams.
the only fussing was by a couple of the Fosters, who could see their old house and were trying to get back through the hardware cloth. I'll be up early to make sure they don't throw it down before breakfast... I think this will work well. we have rain for at least 2 days. they have time to get used to it. better learn to deal.

it was time consuming. I moved them one by one. for the most part, they were already roosting, but wide awake... the only one who did any running was Gretel, and no way was I going to chase after her. stay there then... If she's still hyped up in the morning, I'll move her. if she's chilled out, I will probably leave her.
and the only adjustments I had to make was moving Dutch and Brutus twice. I took them out so I could put Royce in, but I hadn't moved the group out of Brutus and Dutch's future home yet, so I had to put them with Julius and Junebug for just a few minutes. they were very well behaved, which was a relief. they free range with the chicks, and it's no problem, but it could be another story to be trapped inside a small pen together... anyway, once I got the large fowl done, and the adult bantams moved, I was able to move Dutch and Brutus and take the door off of Gossy's kennel. when I moved her and her chicks, everyone got up to investigate and she was getting uppity. the door helped calm everyone down.
it's been very quiet since proper roosting was settled. but I will be out early in the morning to keep the peace!

Back
Top Bottom