Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

:lol: While waiting it out (seriously, what is taking so long?! :barnie ), I have to buy eggs. I picked jumbo because I need cartons for the bigger eggs the older two lay.
My hens are taking their winter break now so I will likely have to buy eggs next week

The RSL was laying jumbo eggs pretty much from the start. They were also double yolks daily. We had a few triple. The Welsummer was laying a large, but this is her second year, so it will likely be bigger when she feels like laying again. The others will give medium anytime now, and the teens will probably be large in mid to late March.

The RSL was laying jumbo eggs pretty much from the start. They were also double yolks daily. We had a few triple. The Welsummer was laying a large, but this is her second year, so it will likely be bigger when she feels like laying again. The others will give medium anytime now, and the teens will probably be large in mid to late March.
The hybrid breeds are egg laying machines! The more heritage breeds are slow but steady with laying eggs

I bought eggs last week... poor pathetic pale yolked eggs. One of my younger hens started laying on new year's eve and a second hen started last week. Only getting about 3 per week total, so not enough for baking or frittata.
I collected two on Wednesday but non yesterday.

It is good that they are starting up!

I have four store bought eggs left in the refrigerator and four Golden Comets that are 18 weeks old tomorrow. Should I buy eggs or wait it out? This is a tough one. What to do?
I would probably buy another carton of eggs. Mine didn't start laying until 6 to 8 months. I found out a good way to tell.is if they have a fair size comb and wattles and if there glowing red. And if you g
I have four store bought eggs left in the refrigerator and four Golden Comets that are 18 weeks old tomorrow. Should I buy eggs or wait it out? This is a tough one. What to do?

o to put your hand down on them. And if they go and squat that means there either getting close or already laying.

I would probably buy another carton of eggs. Mine didn't start laying until 6 to 8 months. I found out a good way to tell.is if they have a fair size comb and wattles and if there glowing red. And if you g

o to put your hand down on them. And if they go and squat that means there either getting close or already laying.
It is good to have you here!

The thread starter has not been on BYC since 2017.

Good advice!

Is your flock laying well? I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day now from my 6 hens. they are coming off of their winter break

I get one small egg each other day now.
Only one chicken was laying all winter.

The others stopped in October and November. And are still waiting for longer days. The older ladies (4 and 5) probably start in march.

But I have one 1 year old hen of the same breed as the one that is laying every other day. She and a pullet (mix breed) both stopped in november. I assume they soon will lay again.

I’m hoping to get two eggs tomorrow or at least in the first week of February.
:fl
Otherwise I have to buy more expensive bio eggs from the shop because I refuse to buy cheap industrial eggs from farmers that let their chickens live in an overcrowded stable using poisoned genetic modificated (gmo) feed.

Back
Top Bottom