Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Some sad news here. There is an outbreak of a bird flew H5N8 here in the Netherlands. Brought to my country by swans and other waterfowl from Russia. Commercial free range and organic farms need to keep their chickens inside now.
From today also the BY chickens are not allowed to free range anymore, bc a factory farm was infested (probably by rats).
They expect this flew and regulations to last all winter. 😡

So within a few weeks there are no free ranging eggs for sale in the supermarket. One reason more to give my chickens a little more light in the morning after their molt.

Luckily I do have a net covered run wich is big enough for all of my tiny chickens. I keep my chickens as a hobby and No way I could cull them. They can stay as company even after they stop laying.

Some sad news here. There is an outbreak of a bird flew H5N8 here in the Netherlands. Brought to my country by swans and other waterfowl from Russia. Commercial free range and organic farms need to keep their chickens inside now.
From today also the BY chickens are not allowed to free range anymore, bc a factory farm was infested (probably by rats).

So within a few weeks there are no free ranging eggs for sale in the supermarket. One reason more to give my chickens a little more light in the morning after their molt.

Luckily I do have a net covered run wich is big enough for all of my tiny chickens. I keep my chickens as a hobby and No way I could cull them. They can stay as company even after they stop laying.
Here in the US several years ago we had bir fly. Millions of chickens were killed at commercial egg factories.

California had new castles up until last Spring. With that, they would go to backyard flocks and kill the flocks in infected areas. Not many backyard chickens were killed but a lot of commercial flocks were too.

I hope your flock stays healthy!

Trader joes seems to have better eggs at a lower price here. I might get eggs from there when I need them.

I still have 3 dozen from my girls and did get one egg yesterday.
I used to get eggs there... need to start going to TJs again. The line is usually too long to get in, but last time I tried, it wasn't too bad. They use paper cartons too. Can't stand the styro ones.
Didn't you hatch some eggs from TJs?

Sorry to hear that. Bird viruses are always a worry. My hens are all named and are pets too. Luckily, they get to roam all day, which is good, because their coop and run is too small for more than just sleeping.

I used to get eggs there... need to start going to TJs again. The line is usually too long to get in, but last time I tried, it wasn't too bad. They use paper cartons too. Can't stand the styro ones.
Didn't you hatch some eggs from TJs?

Sorry to hear that. Bird viruses are always a worry. My hens are all named and are pets too. Luckily, they get to roam all day, which is good, because their coop and run is too small for more than just sleeping.
I have hatched eggs from Trader Joe's fertile eggs three times. The second two times were very good hatchet too. I still have one that is going on 4 years old

Don’t they sell organic eggs where you live? They cost a little more , are healthier and taste better then the eggs from factory farming.

I bought my first carton of eggs too. Bc my neighbours had to stay in quarantine (covid) I offered them a few eggs of mine to help them out the first day. Bc mine lay little now (4 oldies 3 younger and moulting) I had to buy a small carton of store eggs 🥚a few days later. Days get short now and I get less eggs every week.This winter, I'm going to add light in the morning, but I'll wait for them to finish moulting.
i tried the lights one year, got a few eggs, but last year and this year i let nature take its course, the poor girls need a rest

Last year and this year the last egg of the season was on October 23rd by the Welsummer. :lol:

It’s really nice here, so we are spending a lot of time outside. Last week I saw street basketballs at Walmart for $4. I grabbed one, and that (basketballs work better than those big rubber balls), combined with another growth spurt and practice allowed Duckling to beat me this morning. :rant I am not happy!! Proud? Of course! But it ain’t fair I tell you!

Back
Top Bottom