Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

No chickens harmed, they are remarkably agile at getting out of the way when they need to. Ha I find the word spell corrector and modifyer pretty sneaky sometimes at changing your words to a whole new meaning.......hmmm, almost like there's an artificial intelligence in there...I really expect it to read my mind. OK, just kidding about the hat...bet it would be warm though. Is muzzleloader same as black powder? Lot of that here...my oh (other half) would like to build some...if we ever get caught up on the inventory...from stock to stem. Takes awhile to build from ground up. I've discovered when most people say they go hunting, they are usually heading to a deer farm with tree stands and deer conditioned to walk into line of sight....not so sporty. Some ride around in cars at night out here. I wish them no luck. If you get a deer on our place you must be a very fit hunter I can tell you that you will earn it. The back part is pretty much inaccessible, even by foot, you'll make too much noise. The brush is so thick you can forget long range too, and good luck hauling it out...the deer have a nice safe hollow with a creek down the middle. And they know it. I do like seeing the little fawn tracks in the spring...the last few winters have been hard on the deer.

No chickens harmed, they are remarkably agile at getting out of the way when they need to. Ha I find the word spell corrector and modifyer pretty sneaky sometimes at changing your words to a whole new meaning.......hmmm, almost like there's an artificial intelligence in there...I really expect it to read my mind. OK, just kidding about the hat...bet it would be warm though. Is muzzleloader same as black powder? Lot of that here...my oh (other half) would like to build some...if we ever get caught up on the inventory...from stock to stem. Takes awhile to build from ground up. I've discovered when most people say they go hunting, they are usually heading to a deer farm with tree stands and deer conditioned to walk into line of sight....not so sporty. Some ride around in cars at night out here. I wish them no luck. If you get a deer on our place you must be a very fit hunter I can tell you that you will earn it. The back part is pretty much inaccessible, even by foot, you'll make too much noise. The brush is so thick you can forget long range too, and good luck hauling it out...the deer have a nice safe hollow with a creek down the middle. And they know it. I do like seeing the little fawn tracks in the spring...the last few winters have been hard on the deer.
Yes black powder and muzzleloader are the same. I have rode four wheelers in West Virginia in the mountains so I know how rugged the mountains can be. Eastern Kentucky is about the same as West Virginia in having mountains and pretty rugged terrain. I wouldn't walk any of those mountains but have been all over the mountains of Kentucky,Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. I usually go riding with a group at least once a month in warm weather. See lots of beautiful country on a four wheeler as you probably know. Might take Roger next time I go. Think she would lay scrambled eggs after riding on the front of my four wheeler all day?

ahhh, the sky stopped falling! I've been Jones'n for my chicken readin'!

we got a little over an inch of snow today, mail volume was so heavy it was insane, couldn't fit it all in the vehicle, had to return to the office for a second load...and the snow slowed things down even more...

3 eggs today, one brown, one cream and Blu's green, everyone was roosting, it had just gotten dark when I got there, went straight to the enclosure, water was liquid, won't be by morning... but early next week it's supposed to go back up into the mid 40's, if it's not already completed by then, I will finish covering the front of the run with the flex-o-pane.

ACW, I have a hat. it's so very nice and warm. but it's not coon, it's beaver... it never really gets cold enough to wear it tho', but for a few days a year, even as cold as it gets around these parts... it's great in high winds, got the little ear flaps and everything
big_smile.png

OK, be careful taking Roger out 4-wheelin' ~ she'll want her own machine!

Last edited:
Yes, Kentucky has some of the same topography. Gotta love those logging roads. They make good trails. I would think it through before taking roger around where she can get her bearings, she might stage a break out and go on her own road trip! Little trouble maker. Cheeka, I picked up 2 shorn beaver coats at a thift store in FL. 20 bucks each, at the time I couldn't see those pelts left hanging there. You can wear those coats in a blizzard and the snow won't even melt on them...very warm. So what for animal rights activists....I can't see wasting something like that. The elevation here is a little higher so we get ten to twenty degrees colder...cold enough for beaver for sure! Wish I had the matching hat!

Hey everone, I have been one of the silent readers on this thread for quite a while. I have a story to tell that is bazarre! When my DH was just 15 years old (he is 65 now) they had about 40-50 chickens. They moved from a suburb close to the city out to 80 acres of farm ground and set up "city farmin". You know the type, kinda know it all but guessing at the rest. Anyway his mom was getting really tired of this one chicken constantly being broody and never leaving her nest. She lost alot of weight and lost alot of feathers. She had quite alot of eggs under her. So...Mom decided she should be...well gone. My DH took her to the creek and whopped the head and threw her off the bridge into the water. People back then did those things!? 4-5 months later he went to the creek to get some minnows to go fishing with and guess what he saw THAT CHICKEN! Feathers so full and she was fat and healthy. He started nosing around after she took off up creek and saw an egg along the bank, then he looked further and found 30-40 more eggs hidden under a ledge of rock. He chased the chicken down and took her back to the house and showed his Mom and she about fell over when she heard the story. That chicken stayed with them and she went broody again, but she was the queen of the yard, Mom let her do whatever she wanted but kept closer eye on her. Just thought you all would appreciate this crazy story!

Hi gainke! Welcome to the thread! That's quite a story and must have been some chicken. Seems like some of them are born to be broody. When you say "whopped" though, you mean more like hit or smacked and not chopped, right? This is not a chicken ghost story, is it?
hide.gif
I think it's amazing that the eggs were not eaten by some predator. I recently found 11 eggs hidden outside the coop, and was so surprised that nothing got them. I know something gets in the yard under the fence every night because it pushes rocks out of the way, but it's a mystery as to what it is. Not a good egg finder, that's for sure.

I see by your avatar that you are familiar with the special qualities of barred rocks. Now that you have posted, I'm sure Roger will be texting your girl, so watch out for her to start acting up!

What other breeds do you have?

Hey everone, I have been one of the silent readers on this thread for quite a while. I have a story to tell that is bazarre! When my DH was just 15 years old (he is 65 now) they had about 40-50 chickens. They moved from a suburb close to the city out to 80 acres of farm ground and set up "city farmin". You know the type, kinda know it all but guessing at the rest. Anyway his mom was getting really tired of this one chicken constantly being broody and never leaving her nest. She lost alot of weight and lost alot of feathers. She had quite alot of eggs under her. So...Mom decided she should be...well gone. My DH took her to the creek and whopped the head and threw her off the bridge into the water. People back then did those things!? 4-5 months later he went to the creek to get some minnows to go fishing with and guess what he saw THAT CHICKEN! Feathers so full and she was fat and healthy. He started nosing around after she took off up creek and saw an egg along the bank, then he looked further and found 30-40 more eggs hidden under a ledge of rock. He chased the chicken down and took her back to the house and showed his Mom and she about fell over when she heard the story. That chicken stayed with them and she went broody again, but she was the queen of the yard, Mom let her do whatever she wanted but kept closer eye on her. Just thought you all would appreciate this crazy story!
I like that story. I have left for work twice thinking that when I got home I would have a memorial service for Roger after she ran completely out of sight into the woods infested with predators only to arrive home and find her sitting next to the coop laughing at me. Welcome to the thread.

Hey back! glad to see you spoke up and joined us! i just loved your story, its amazing how the outlook has changed on "food" animals over the years. I am no better, spike my RLBW has my heart in her little claws and she knows it. -0- eggs all week, guess its too cold, and all the wyandottes are molting. Ugh poor Red, he is so embarrassed he barely comes out of the coop.. Lots of mealworm and yogurt pies for my bald babies.

I don't like to change tradition but wonder why Santa Claus didn't have chickens pulling his sled. I mean who ever heard of flying deer.

Roger With Your Comb So Bright,
Won't You Guide My Sleigh Tonight,
Then How The Others Loved Her,
As They Shouted Out With Glee,
Roger The Red Comb Barred Rock,
You'll Go Down In History,

.......now tell the truth. Wouldn't it look much more real with eight chickens perched on the roof ridge in front of the sled instead of eight silly deer. Or am I giving this too much thought. I quit believing when I was six because of stuff like this. I feel like I got cheated out of a couple years. Interested in your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom