Should I Buy Indian Runners

Quote:
Rubee is a Gray runner Drake, They are the same color as Mallard ducks.
We have pictures of our Gray runners on our website. They look just like your Rubee.

I love the runners, they are so fun to watch.

Sharon

Quote:
Rubee is a Gray runner Drake, They are the same color as Mallard ducks.
We have pictures of our Gray runners on our website. They look just like your Rubee.

I love the runners, they are so fun to watch.

Sharon

I hate to disagree with you, or hijack this thread, but Rubee is not a Gray. I get a lot of different opinions about what color he is, and I've had some very knowledgeable people tell me he's a Saxony Runner. But I have been studying up a lot on my duck color genetics (not to mention that I have two mallards and know the wild-type gray color pattern quite well), and he's an off-colored Buff Runner - just like Sandhill Preservation center, where I got him from, told me.

He's the smutty-colored duckling on the far right of this picture:
4349238630_6458c70431.jpg

And here he is in his juvenile plumage:
4308803327_eaecf0fe79_m.jpg
4308783405_b34a4ef113_m.jpg

That is most definately not the duckling/juvenile coloration of a gray.

As I understand it, Buff is Dusky color phase with a Brown, Buff, and two Blue dilution genes. Rubee's just expressing far too much blue - hence the steely gray head (note that it's not green) and the blue shading on his wing and bum feathers.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you should post pictures of the new duckies~!
and i agree with you annarie i have a gray runner and hes much different then yours,
piper as a baby:
piperbaby.gif

here is an adolescent:
DSCN0992.jpg

and now as an adult: (modeling netties duck shoes)
DSC00054-1.jpg

if anything i think you have a blue trout runner, http://www.runnerduck.net/photo_album.htm

Back
Top Bottom