Should I change my brooder light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RitzHomestead, Feb 26, 2015.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    I am currently using the heating red bulb for my 3 week old chicks and it has been working great they are comfortable and sleep just on the outside ring of the light. I was wondering though, when should I start to integrate them to get used to the dark. They are in a heated basement that stays around 70 degrees maybe a little cooler but not much, should I turn off their light for a few hours in the evening? Just feel as though they should get a break from that light constantly being on. I am new to all this so this may be a dumb question lol.

[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I just keep it on until I think they have enough feathering and then put them outside. But that's just what I do.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably 30 mins would be the longest. At three weeks the coldest they can get would be about 80 degrees Fahrenheit

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It is nice to start them on a day night cycle after the first few days.......
    ......but you have to find a different source of heat, because they do need the heat 24/7 for 4-5 weeks at least.

Other options are the brooder plates or ceramic heating elements used for reptiles.

I DIY'd a brooder plate out of a heating pad that worked pretty good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by