EastCoastChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Nova Scotia
Hey all,

Just building our first coop! It's 4'x6' and will house 4 hens. I'm currently designing the outdoor run area that will be 12'x6' and 4' tall. I'm just trying to decide on whether or not to cover it. The sides will have 1/2 wire Hardware cloth. We live in a rural setting on the coast, we have a lot of weasels/martins around as well as fox and raccoons (at night) I do not see them out often, well I do see the weasels more, but didn't know if during the daytime I would need to worry as much. In time I would like to free range them in our fenced yard area which is significantly larger, but I do want them to have a safe place to hide from daytime predators while they are free ranging. I guess the question is, if the chickens see a hawk or eagle around, will they go back into the coop for safety if there pen is not covered?

I appreciate any advice...Thank you :)

New here as well and many have recommended fencing on top since we also have hawks and eagles. But I'm going with chicken wire since they will be in the coop in the evenings. Have you considered raising the run area a foot or two higher so you can get in easier to clean? Mine will be between 4-7 feet high as the run is on a hill.

Typically, hens will instinctively try to cover when they see a hawk. However, many don’t know they need to until bad happens to them.
If it were me, I would definitely cover it.
My runs are covered. Even covered, I’ve had hawks get too close and come check out to see if they can find a why in.
Devious creatures.

Covering it is also to keep the chickens in when needed. They will fly out if it’s not covered, and then may or may not be able to get back in during trouble.

Also, while many predators are supposedly nocturnal, they can hunt during the day, especially when you have bait in your yard, and if they’re diseased.
We recently had a raccoon checking out ours, during the day, while I was standing right there! Distemper, I think.

Cover it.

I'm in the cover it crowd. Mine is completely covered with HC. Twice I've had a redtail hawk hit the run with a very loud whack. My run is very strong, and both times the hawk was stunned for a minute after hitting the run. Actually surprised they didn't get injured badly.

New here as well and many have recommended fencing on top since we also have hawks and eagles. But I'm going with chicken wire since they will be in the coop in the evenings. Have you considered raising the run area a foot or two higher so you can get in easier to clean? Mine will be between 4-7 feet high as the run is on a hill.
I am keeping it that height because of the height of my coop. I have a larger area of the yard they will run in when I'm home to be with them I hope. But the height is limited by the height of my coop. I'd like to keep it estetically pleasing also. Thanks for the advice too :)

I'm in the cover it crowd. Mine is completely covered with HC. Twice I've had a redtail hawk hit the run with a very loud whack. My run is very strong, and both times the hawk was stunned for a minute after hitting the run. Actually surprised they didn't get injured badly.
Amazing birds aren't they! Well it looks like I'll be covering it for sure then. Thanks for the tips!

Typically, hens will instinctively try to cover when they see a hawk. However, many don’t know they need to until bad happens to them.
If it were me, I would definitely cover it.
My runs are covered. Even covered, I’ve had hawks get too close and come check out to see if they can find a why in.
Devious creatures.

Covering it is also to keep the chickens in when needed. They will fly out if it’s not covered, and then may or may not be able to get back in during trouble.

Also, while many predators are supposedly nocturnal, they can hunt during the day, especially when you have bait in your yard, and if they’re diseased.
We recently had a raccoon checking out ours, during the day, while I was standing right there! Distemper, I think.

Cover it.
Very Good to know! Thank you SO much. Just want to do my best to keep the birds safe. I will hopefully free range them in the yard on days when I'm home but I think a 12'x6' enclosure should be fine for 4 hens on a daily basis plus their 4'x6' coop.
I appreciate all your advice! and yup. I will be covering it! :)

I would definitely cover it at least some kind of wire mesh.
If you live where it snows, a solid roof to hold snow load is even better.

Welcome to BYC! @EastCoastChickens
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586532421029.png

Back
Top Bottom