Should I cull an aggressive, lone pullet?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have a loner pullet in a free range setting that has been perching alone very high far away from her siblings while they sleep together on the floor or on a lower perch in the coop.

It doesn't seem that she was bullied. It looks like she's the one who doesn't want to be with her own flock and her siblings don't want to mess with her.

She has a very odd atmosphere about her. She's very quiet but it seems that she has her hackles slightly up a lot of times while other chicks are relaxing or having fun doing chicken stuff.
Either she's always stressed out or possibly threatened just by me looking at her.
Seeing her hackles moving up and down as if they're breathing on their own, I never wanted to pick her up before. I was going to just sell her.

Today I realized that she got sour crop and I picked her up for the first time to separate her from others.
In the process she bit my husband in the hand, my arm and thigh.

Now I'm worried if she is human aggressive.
Her father roo attacked everybody except me and I suspect that her mother hen might be the one who was also very awkward with other chickens and used to attack my feet.
She looked scared of me whenever I'm near her and then attacked my feet out of fear. She was bullied by her siblings at first and then later became the meanest bully.
I wish I hadn't hatched her eggs.

I've kept two undesirable chickens in the past and I had to sold the awkward and aggressive one. The other one who was sickly for months while laying pee wee eggs until she was 15 months old ended up breaking my heart by dying suddenly.

So I don't want to keep aggressive or sickly chickens.

Now I'm worried about this pullet becoming my headache as she is sick on the top of being seemingly aggressive and unsettled.

I don't want to keep her but I can't sell her either for the same reason.
Then should I cull her? I don't want to get attached to her while nursing her.
(Well, maybe I won't if she keeps screaming as if she's being murdered and pecking me.)

Last edited:
Soup, tamale, sandwiches.
I would, she sounds like something isn't right.
I was wondering if I should give more time to her but I'm already stressed out from dealing with chicken problems all the time. I have chicken anxiety....
Can you eat a chicken with a sour crop?
I might just give her away to someone I know.

I was wondering if I should give more time to her but I'm already stressed out from dealing with chicken problems all the time. I have chicken anxiety....
Can you eat a chicken with a sour crop?
I might just give her away to someone I know.
Chickens or any other animal shouldn't cause stress, it's not worth keeping it if they do.
Yes, the meat is fine.
I wouldn't make her anyone else problem, she'd likely get worse in a new stressful environment.

Im having similar problem - out if my 18 hens - 13 of them RIR and are starting to lay. Lately Ive seen that one is kind of broody - when she leaves the box I take eggs (and everybody elses eggs). Ive seen her when out in the yard fighting with another hen with hackles up and they stay up for a while. She looks mad as hell and wonder if its about having no eggs in the box.? I have not had this issue before but then again I have more chickens this year than last year. I will keep an eye and wount have any trouble eliminating her if she continues. I need peace in my backyard chickens.

Im having similar problem - out if my 18 hens - 13 of them RIR and are starting to lay. Lately Ive seen that one is kind of broody - when she leaves the box I take eggs (and everybody elses eggs). Ive seen her when out in the yard fighting with another hen with hackles up and they stay up for a while. She looks mad as hell and wonder if its about having no eggs in the box.? I have not had this issue before but then again I have more chickens this year than last year. I will keep an eye and wount have any trouble eliminating her if she continues. I need peace in my backyard chickens.
I'm not sure if we had similar problem. I see my hens fighting each other here and there with their hackles up very regularly. They do that a lot when establishing or changing their pecking order.
Also when someone's broody, other hens often attack her maybe telling her to go back to the nest.
My problem was having a pullet who had her hackles up all the time whenever I was near her. She did that the moment I went into their coop. She was super quiet and very often alone, sleeping alone.
Something was eery about her. The way she looks at me seems either very hostile or scared. Maybe both.
I know overly scared hens can attack humans from experience.
Then she got a sour crop.
So I decided to cull her instead of treating her.

Hope it helps. I wouldn't worry about chickens bickering unless someone gets badly injured.
I think chickens are often drama queens and it's fun to watch them and their dynamics.

I'm not sure if we had similar problem. I see my hens fighting each other here and there with their hackles up very regularly. They do that a lot when establishing or changing their pecking order.
Also when someone's broody, other hens often attack her maybe telling her to go back to the nest.
My problem was having a pullet who had her hackles up all the time whenever I was near her. She did that the moment I went into their coop. She was super quiet and very often alone, sleeping alone.
Something was eery about her. The way she looks at me seems either very hostile or scared. Maybe both.
I know overly scared hens can attack humans from experience.
Then she got a sour crop.
So I decided to cull her instead of treating her.

Hope it helps. I wouldn't worry about chickens bickering unless someone gets badly injured.
I think chickens are often drama queens and it's fun to watch them and their dynamics.
Oh interesting about the broody hen and other hen behaviour towards her...it makes sense to me now. The surely are peculiar creatures. Sorry you had to cull that very aggressive one though. They do offer amusing entertainment but sometimes there is weird stuff that goes beyond chicken drama. Thanks for your input.

Now I'm worried if she is human aggressive.
Her father roo attacked everybody except me
Father was aggressive, so he passed that down to her. Human Aggressive behavior is genetic, & can be passed down through several generations. Some may inherit the aggressive trait, & some may not.

Back
Top Bottom