Should i cull the entire flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boykin2010, Sep 24, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I had a hen that i posted about a while back and everyone told me she had a contagious respitory problem. Her eye became swollen and bubbles came out. I ended up culling that chicken, in hopes the disease didnt spread to my entire flock. It looks like the disease did spread, one of my blue cochins has a swollen eye this morning.
    I have heard many people tell me that one choice for me is to cull the entire flock.
    I have about 25 chickens right now and 2 ducks. Does everyone agree that i need to cull? Or do you think i need to treat some of the infected birds with Tylan.
    Either way, i cant get any new chickens because then they will become infected. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and dont know what to do.
    I could cull then clean the coop and everything in it extremely good and hope that if i got new chickens they wouldnt get the disease. Or i could keep the chickens i already have and treat them. Hope the disease dont come back after the treatment and keep a closed flock. ( I really didnt want to keep a closed flock because i wanted to keep adding and slowly switch over to more exotic breeds of chickens.)
    Please give me your opinion in this situation. I really need it.
    Thanks

2. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    take the sick bird to the state vet to get tested. That way you will get a definite diagnosis before culling unnecessarily. I made the mistake of not getting some tested, and wound up culling when it was NOT necessary (including kids pet birds, breeding birds..)

Much better to get a definite answer via the lab test, instead of just guessing based on symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by