I did the research. I guess you guys haven’t. Your way sounds horrible to me, my way sounds horrible to you. The humane society said it was kind and gentle as hypothermia is a pleasant way to die, you go to sleep. Please remember in life your way is your way but there are other ways. I was offering an option. When we had to cull a cockerel my husband did do it by twisting his neck which was also quick and gentle.

Sorry you lost your wee chick and glad nature took its course.
What humane society? Do you have a link or something you would like to share with us?
That seems like a prolonged and needlessly stressful experience to me. Eventually they go to sleep, but before that they become cold, so cold as to cause them pain. Humane is getting it over quickly, not doing what makes you feel better about it.

Hi I really don’t think we need to argue about this. Your adamant in your position but the truth is quite different

Let’s not get into unpleasant discussion. I feel very happy about the decision I made and the facts are hypothermia is a pleasant way to die. It was actual advice I found on THIS forum and other people I spoke to that day. However I have a busy life and am not justifying my decision. I merely was making people aware of other possible ways. Have a lovely day

i really don't want to argue about this . A lovely person told me at the time when it was my first ever hatch with an issue that the humane way is the way YOU can do it. I was terrified my scissors or knife wasn't sharp enough. It only works for day old chicks, it's quick and yes it is painless, we're not talking about frostbite. I've done lots of reading on hypothermia. Sadly today ended up findout all sorts of way to kill myseld trying Tom find that damn articles which I believe I found on this site at the time. If it's helps your opinion of me, we've had to face culling our young cockerel And a very sick 8 week old who had a stroke like situation and my husband turned them upside down and wrung their necks, when they were calm and quiet.
https://quarteracrehome.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/humanely-euthanizing-a-chicken/ I did find info here. But goodness me I'm not advocating it as the only way to go. I was thinking of maybe a person in distress that needed some help, like I was that day. One thing is for sure, the whole business of rearing chickens does toughen you up. I hope you have a lovely day.

@ScottyGill This is a sensitive subject and people who love animals have very strong opinions on what they believe and are generally very blunt in the sharing of their opinions. I think that arguing and justifying yourself in threads is just going to make you unhappy. What we all have in common on BYC, and why we are here in the first place, is that we are all trying to do the right thing by our animals. If I were you I would just do a simple "thank you" to people for replying (and ask a question if you have any queries about the information in their reply), and then do what you think is best afterwards in private. Either carry on as you are because you already researched this topic and made a decision as to how you would go on, or consider adopting the new advice if you find it sounder. The most important thing is don't let this put you off posting though. And you are absolutely right when you say rearing chickens does toughen you up in many different ways! Hugs from South of the Border.

@ScottyGill This is a sensitive subject and people who love animals have very strong opinions on what they believe and are generally very blunt in the sharing of their opinions. I think that arguing and justifying yourself in threads is just going to make you unhappy. What we all have in common on BYC, and why we are here in the first place, is that we are all trying to do the right thing by our animals. If I were you I would just do a simple "thank you" to people for replying (and ask a question if you have any queries about the information in their reply), and then do what you think is best afterwards in private. Either carry on as you are because you already researched this topic and made a decision as to how you would go on, or consider adopting the new advice if you find it sounder. The most important thing is don't let this put you off posting though. And you are absolutely right when you say rearing chickens does toughen you up in many different ways! Hugs from South of the Border.
Your so right. I’ve deleted my post.

Last edited:
I don't think I would be strong enough emotionally to decapitate a chick although I have heard that it is a quick and humane way to do it. I wish there was an easier way...easier on me that is. I am greatful that I have others around that are able to cull for me. Years ago my favorite hen was brutally mutilated by the flock. She was still alive and suffering and I felt I couldn't leave her that way for another second. No one was home to help. I had to do it myself. Cervical dislocation. I was pretty hysterical, apologizing to poor Isabelle as I ended her life, and had nightmares after. I loved that chicken:hit

@goldysgirl It's never nice, but you did it because you knew you had to. You should feel strong and proud about what you did to stop your lovely chicken from suffering. I know many ladies in your situation who just wouldn't have had the courage and would have let it pass slowly in agony and probably on it's own because they couldn't bear to see it in such a condition. I read an article a vet wrote recently on euthanising dogs. Because the owners (and I think he was referring to lady owners) can't bear it, they say goodbye to their dogs, often weeping, and step out of the room. The dogs are put to sleep alone and in an agitated state because they are trying to follow their beloved unhappy owner out of the door. The vet was basically asking owners to 'man up' in these situations and think of their dog's feelings and not their own - to put on a happy face to the bitter end so the dog thinks it's just another trip to the vets. You 'manned up' and did the right thing when it mattered. Kudos.

I have a day old chick and she was an assisted hatch. I helped too early. She cant cheep or eat or stand, but she has been kicking her curled up feet a lot, and was pretty active. Breathing very hard too. I gave her sugar water throughout the day. She does seem like she may be suffering, but I don’t know if it’s too early to make the discussion to cull her. Should I give her more time?

the pictures are a time line of her since she hatched.
This has happened to me before. You can put the chick back in the incubator and sometimes they will perk up when they are supposed to hatch, in a day or so. I turn them. if it is still alive in a day, start holding him in the position he would naturally sit in. I call this chick physical therapy. It has worked, good luck.

I have a day old chick and she was an assisted hatch. I helped too early. She cant cheep or eat or stand, but she has been kicking her curled up feet a lot, and was pretty active. Breathing very hard too. I gave her sugar water throughout the day. She does seem like she may be suffering, but I don’t know if it’s too early to make the discussion to cull her. Should I give her more time?

the pictures are a time line of her since she hatched.
I'm sorry. :(
I don't think there's much you can do at this point. I would go ahead and cull, but you should wait for other's opinions first. Good luck. :hugs

In a couple of the pictures one foot looks deformed. Is it? Could be the reason you had to assist hatching, and one of the many reasons I choose not to assist during hatches.

Back
Top Bottom