What do you think about the baking soda method
@Kennyhasquails I hadn't heard of this before, but just read up on it. I don't think there's any definitive right or wrong answer Kenny, although people will have very strong opinions as you have already read on your thread. The thing is you can only do what you can do, and anything is better than leaving a chick to suffer unnecessarily. Culling chicks with a twist and pull is my preferred method. One deep breath, do it quickly and firmly and the chick knows nothing. It's such a horrible topic this isn't it? But when we venture into poultry it's inevitable that culling is going to have to take place at some point, so best research fully now, decide on your strategy and stock anything you might need before another situation arises like this.

@goldysgirl It's never nice, but you did it because you knew you had to. You should feel strong and proud about what you did to stop your lovely chicken from suffering. I know many ladies in your situation who just wouldn't have had the courage and would have let it pass slowly in agony and probably on it's own because they couldn't bear to see it in such a condition. I read an article a vet wrote recently on euthanising dogs. Because the owners (and I think he was referring to lady owners) can't bear it, they say goodbye to their dogs, often weeping, and step out of the room. The dogs are put to sleep alone and in an agitated state because they are trying to follow their beloved unhappy owner out of the door. The vet was basically asking owners to 'man up' in these situations and think of their dog's feelings and not their own - to put on a happy face to the bitter end so the dog thinks it's just another trip to the vets. You 'manned up' and did the right thing when it mattered. Kudos.
Thank you. I used to assist a vet with euthanasia. Very sad. We always cuddled the animals like family when they were put to sleep if the owners left the room. I have only had to put one of my dogs down. I held back my tears so that I wouldn't upset her and told Lucy what a good girl she was as they put her to sleep. When I got home I sobbed.

in my opinion the vets have shots to put other animals asleep why cat they fix it where we can do that with our chicken and other fowl friends per pound my animal was very sick i held him in my arms telling him how much i loved him he just went to sleep looking grateful . he was going on 16
I know. I thought it would be nice to be able to give an injection at home. I think the medication they use is a controlled substance. It was long ago, but I think they had to keep a log of every time they used it. I guess it could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

@goldysgirl I am sure he was grateful to have you there, slipping away peacefully after having had such a long, loving life with you.

I agree. The first time I experienced a sick hen in my flock I had a devil of a job finding a vet who would even see it. They gave me medication and then as we were leaving did a demonstration of a cervical dislocation, saying you might want to master it. I bet if it was a hamster their closing shot would have been bring it back if it's no better, not here's a mallet you might want to master it.
Wow! I am shocked that they demonstrated that.

Thank you. I used to assist a vet with euthanasia. Very sad. We always cuddled the animals like family when they were put to sleep if the owners left the room. I have only had to put one of my dogs down. I held back my tears so that I wouldn't upset her and told Lucy what a good girl she was as they put her to sleep. When I got home I sobbed.
:love

I have a day old chick and she was an assisted hatch. I helped too early. She cant cheep or eat or stand, but she has been kicking her curled up feet a lot, and was pretty active. Breathing very hard too. I gave her sugar water throughout the day. She does seem like she may be suffering, but I don’t know if it’s too early to make the discussion to cull her. Should I give her more time?

the pictures are a time line of her since she hatched.
This has happened to me before. You can put the chick back in the incubator and sometimes they will perk up when they are supposed to hatch, in a day or so. I turn them. if it is still alive in a day, start holding him in the position he would naturally sit in. I call this chick physical therapy. It has worked, good luck.

@goldysgirl It's never nice, but you did it because you knew you had to. You should feel strong and proud about what you did to stop your lovely chicken from suffering. I know many ladies in your situation who just wouldn't have had the courage and would have let it pass slowly in agony and probably on it's own because they couldn't bear to see it in such a condition. I read an article a vet wrote recently on euthanising dogs. Because the owners (and I think he was referring to lady owners) can't bear it, they say goodbye to their dogs, often weeping, and step out of the room. The dogs are put to sleep alone and in an agitated state because they are trying to follow their beloved unhappy owner out of the door. The vet was basically asking owners to 'man up' in these situations and think of their dog's feelings and not their own - to put on a happy face to the bitter end so the dog thinks it's just another trip to the vets. You 'manned up' and did the right thing when it mattered. Kudos.

We takes our dogs to the vet so they do not continue to suffer from their illness or injury. Why would one leave them to go alone? I stay with my loved one during and after, long enough after for me to feel he has the rainbow bridge in sight and knows where to go. During, I use my hands and voice to assure him he is a good boy and we love him. I don't know too many people that could do that without crying. He's so sick, he knows this is not a normal trip to the vet, and that we are trying to make him feel better, as always. Putting on a happy face is not going to fool him. I can't keep from crying, but I can stay with him to the very end and comfort him if he's scared. You will never regret being there.

btw: My husband and I were a mess when we had to cull our first sick girl. I would have done most anything for a vet's help with the hard part, but watching her suffer was worse. Take deep breaths.

I was VERY fortunate to locate a vet who will take care of my guys and also treats them more like pets, as I do. They will do euthanasia for chickens and it appears to be completely painless. All that happens is they fall asleep quickly and then stop breathing. There is no consciousness of what is happening to them and, as much as I hate to admit, there are certain circumstances where it becomes necessary. For those who don't have available/willing vet care, perhaps any other type of vet would be willing to do the euthanasia as opposed to their apparent inability to treat poultry as if they need pain relief, preventative care for some things, emergencies, etc. Don't feel too horrible- I fought to keep an obviously sick chick alive that I received from a hatchery. She died within 5 days but I held her for much of that time and she seemed relaxed enough. I had a necropsy done at Penn State University and it showed massive infections with antibiotic resistant bacteria, caused by a forced hatch. This is another reason I will go out of my way to avoid hatcheries, as they can not only produce chicks who will suffer but they can also introduce things to infect the rest of your flock. I know your heart is in the right place Kenny and I'm pretty sure I would have done the exact same thing. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with and you are also the only one actually seeing the chick all the time. We all might have opinions but I've found that most people will know if they truly need to end a suffering creatures life or if they should continue fighting to save them. I've done it more than once (as in treating them) and I have been successful excepting the chick I mentioned before. I hope everything is going better for you, please let us know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom