Should I do Zebus?

Where would I look for some good quality(less expensive) baby Zebus for spring?

7205_charmin_whats_up.jpg

I think you mean Mini Zebu, as there are full size Zebu also.....

My bull is very sweet. I know he is a bull and respect that, but he is also very good tempered. He has not showed any aggression towards me, and I make him respect me also. I know a good deal of people that have them as pets. I have walked in the fields with bulls and heifers and none ever showed aggression, even with my hubby up their tails taking photos, LOL. They show them, even kids show them. Mini zebu can be a lot of fun, mine are more like my mini horses and llama.... always seeing what your doing.I have seen them taught to pull a cart etc.... They are easy to care for, survive on very little, no special feeds. Insect, disease tolerant, do great in the heat. i would get them young and handle them often.
How much space do these need?

This may not apply to the zebu, but I will mention it anyway. I knew that dairy bulls are dangerous, but that beef bulls are far less so. I never understood why, but I came across an article that addressed that issue. The difference between dairy bulls and beef bulls is how they are raised. Beef bulls are raised on their mothers and dairy bulls are hand fed a bottle. The bottle raised bulls eventually turn aggressive to humans, but the beef bulls are far less likely to do so. I think if you dig around you will find the article I am talking about.

If you go with zebu you will need to keep a bull. Keeping a bull is dangerous. I will be selling my bull soon as it isnt worth it. You cant love on the girls with a bull around. A bull can kill you. Zebu are different and it is very difficult to A.I. them so keep that in mind. I would only consider a bottle heifer as a pet. For milk a dexter may be better. You can A.I. a dexter with no problems so wont need a bull.
I am curious. Why is it difficult to AI them?

Back
Top Bottom