Should I Find My Pigeon A Mate?

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA
Hello! This is my first post! Lol. So, I recently bought a fan tailed pigeon. I already have 3 courtix quials (all girls), and 2 cornish hens. I thought that the pigeon wouldn't be lonely, because she had friends. She was picked on in her old aviary. But I brought her home, and now she picks on the other birds, and they have stopped laying. I also clipped her wings, so she can have free range of the yard without flying away. (Free range with supervision at certain times! They are my babies!) I am not sure if she had a mate before, I think she is a few years old, the man I got her from didn't tell me much. He had over 200 BIRDS, and never had touched her. So all she does is sit inside the hen house and mopes all day. What do I do? Thanks!! xxx

Hello, sorry no one has answered you, there is a forum for other birds like pigeons but I'm not sure how quick you'd get an answer there either. I don't know much about pigeons, but I do know they stay in pairs or small flocks, so I would probably get her a mate so she's not so lonely and stressed.

It's never good keeping them alone even with other bird species, it'd be like a person only having different types of apesor monkeys for company suddenly. They can live alone for long time but usually given mate after they get to know each other they are a lot happier, even with same sex. Homers/racing pigeons make great mixes if you don't want or can't get other fantails, or want some fantail but more homing and flying ability. Tumbler/roller pigeons mix well too (fancy tumblers/rollers, Birmingham rollers, parlor rollers), producing some rolling and still fancier. Most breedings will tell you if your going to breed them (usually we all do unless separate to same sex pairs that are just as happy and act same) keep breeds separate, but doesn't matter as long as are responsibly caring and selling/culling when needed. Congrats and welcome to you and your new pigeon hobby.

Back
Top Bottom