Should I force water to my broody hen?

I have a bantam cochin who does the same thing. The only thing that stops her is to actually let the little bugger set awhile. A one point, after her fourth attempt in five weeks, I let her set for a bit, then slipped three new babies under her. That finally stopped the cycle ... for THAT year, anyway. The issue is that you either need to have space for the new birds yourself or have a home ready to go for them. Sometimes, Chicken Math is just the easier way to go ... sigh ...

I have a bantam cochin who does the same thing. The only thing that stops her is to actually let the little bugger set awhile. A one point, after her fourth attempt in five weeks, I let her set for a bit, then slipped three new babies under her. That finally stopped the cycle ... for THAT year, anyway. The issue is that you either need to have space for the new birds yourself or have a home ready to go for them. Sometimes, Chicken Math is just the easier way to go ... sigh ...
Thank you.😊 I am great full it's only the one doing it.

She's gone broody AGAIN y'all! 😩 I took a combo of everyone's advice the first and second time. I've even used it with other hens. It worked like a charm! But my little silkie is determined. This is full broody number 3 with her. Will this pass when the seasons change? Luckily she sweet and isn't a biter so it's easy to relocate her. But a week after she seems back to normal she's at it again. We have taken to calling her Mrs. New Broody. Any follow up advice? Thank you 😊
I also have one we just call Broody Hen 'cause that's become her name now.

You basically have 3 options. Well, actually, 4 options.

1) Keep breaking her every time. 2) Give in and let her have some fertile eggs, but only if you're ready to deal with the extra chickens. Luck has it they'll all be cockerels. You could also let her sit on fake eggs for a couple weeks and then give her day old chicks if you can get some this time of year. But raising chicks won't stop her from going broody again later in the summer. So it only solves the problem temporarily. 3) Try to re-home her to someone who really wants to hatch chicks and use her as a momma!
4) Some people will cull a persistently broody hen if she's too much trouble to manage. Sounds like you're fond of her, so probably not your choice, but no judgement if it is. I cull chickens for other reasons and think it's one of the responsibilities of animal ownership.

Wishing you the best. Maybe if you keep breaking her she'll slow down at some point. Post pictures of her babies if you decide to let her have some.

I also have one we just call Broody Hen 'cause that's become her name now.

You basically have 3 options. Well, actually, 4 options.

1) Keep breaking her every time. 2) Give in and let her have some fertile eggs, but only if you're ready to deal with the extra chickens. Luck has it they'll all be cockerels. You could also let her sit on fake eggs for a couple weeks and then give her day old chicks if you can get some this time of year. But raising chicks won't stop her from going broody again later in the summer. So it only solves the problem temporarily. 3) Try to re-home her to someone who really wants to hatch chicks and use her as a momma!
4) Some people will cull a persistently broody hen if she's too much trouble to manage. Sounds like you're fond of her, so probably not your choice, but no judgement if it is. I cull chickens for other reasons and think it's one of the responsibilities of animal ownership.

Wishing you the best. Maybe if you keep breaking her she'll slow down at some point. Post pictures of her babies if you decide to let her have some.
Thank you! Good info. I only have the six hens so I am fond of each of them. I had considered giving her a couple chicks but you are right, from what I've read that's only a temporary fix. The one up side is that she is territorial whilst in the nesting area. So no other hen dares go broody. Lol. Thank you for your well wishes 🙏 that is kind of you.

Back
Top Bottom