Should I get a duck or two? How can I make this as easy as possible?

I use straw for the ducks and geese instead of shavings - but it still gets pretty disgusting pretty fast!:eek:

Every night and every morning I take the waterers and feed tray out for cleaning and then I add a new layer of straw on top of the old. The driest part is right under the hat lamps of course - I'm not sure they care though.

That seems to be working pretty well for us. I just have them in a giant box that I lined with plastic garbage bags as a brooder. I imagine you could use shavings the same way - just make sure they don't eat them!
big_smile.png

Hope it's okay to add to older threads...

I would like a few ducks, but don't want the eggs. Would having all male ducks be okay? Of do they fight?

I'm going to be getting all pullets (I hope) and want to add some ducklings to the order.

Can any of you duck keepers let me know if they'll be okay as "bachelors"?

Thanks,

Why would you not want duck eggs? Duck eggs are superior to chicken eggs. My kids when given a chance always choose the duck eggs over chicken eggs.

Even the nicest drakes will turn into meanies when thoughts of spring time and mating season fill their heads.

If there are no females around for the boys to fight over, there is no reason you can't have a couple of bachelor buddy ducks...

BUT...

I agree with Ms Prissy.

Duck eggs are awesome.

Nothing against duck eggs. I have already ordered pullets, some of which will be prolific layers (per their resume
big_smile.png
). I just don't need more eggs. I've already mentally tried to figure out how to distribute the chicken eggs I'll get. I have a large extended family and my husband works with lots of cooks and bakers. Hmmm, I'm not only counting my chicks before they hatch, but also their future eggs, lol.

I don't plan to breed. Just want the chickens and ducks as pets (and the chickens come with eggs). I have this mental picture of me spending lots of time finding and washing eggs.

I did read in another thread, after I posted the question, about male ducks "annoying" female chickens. Maybe I can get them a girl rubber ducky
wink.png
. Or maybe I'll just get all girls or a few girls and one or two males. Love the way the rouens drakes look and since I'm using fowl instead of flowers for landscaping I am selecting by their looks - from what I've read they all seem to have great personalities. My niece has a couple and loves hers - both boys..

Thanks, I'm still scanning old threads and gleaning info. on duck pens, housing, etc.

Quote:
That was my plan originally. I got 2 runner drakes and they were absolutely devoted to each other. They moved in tandem, I was hoping there might be an Olympic event called sychronized ducks.
Sadly, one of them was eaten by a raccoon. His buddy was so lonely he started hanging out my 3 pullets. Then his testosterone kicked in and he went after the pullets!
Now I have 2 drakes and 4 ducks. And eggs. And ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom