Should I get a male or female puppy?

Eventually (which means next spring) I'll be getting a puppy. It will most likely be a Golden Retriever. I'm wondering whether I should get a male or a female? Please help me!
It doesnt matter really as long as you like the puppy. I have a female golden she learned really quickly was potty trained in a day, and learned 10 tricks in 1 month. My aunt has a boy golden he is super high strung and is not verh well trained so i cant go off of training. But in my comparison they both can do the same as long as you like the puppy and you have the time to train it.

If she isn't spayed she will come in heat and attract males for miles. Keep in mind that if a female is spade before her first heat it greatly reduces her chances of getting breast cancer. If spade she won't get pyometra either.
Our golden just went through her first heat cycle it wasnt horrible at all. We have a male dog that came into our yard all the time now he doesnt. I could easily take her on walks without male dogs coming after her. Our vet said not to spay her till 1- 1 1/2 years of age because of cancer risk.

Waiting for the hysterectomy is a 'mixed bag' of issues. Sooner avoids those heat cycles, and greatly reduces the risk of pyometra and mammary tumors later in life. Is some breeds, later seems to reduce the arthritis and some cancers, in some breeds. however, being overweight enhances arthritis, and Goldens have a high risk of certain cancers either way.
Having your dog in heat twice a year is a royal pain, and not worth it unless she's a breeder.
Mary

I personally wouldn’t get a puppy if I was getting a dog. It’s like having a baby! I would adopt an older dog. But that’s just me. With cats I always go for kittens. Good luck whatever you choose! My bitches have always been more obedient than my dogs. But I’ve only had two of each, so might not be anything to go by.

Team female for no legit reasons other than I've had both & prefer female. 🤷‍♀️
My boys are more stubborn, but could be a breed specific thing. Maybe I just got lucky with my girl, she was a dream.
Ive started from puppy and from adult.... Both have pros and cons. Sometimes you are at a point in life where a puppy is the right choice & sometimes you are at a point where an older dog is the right choice. One of my boys was used when we got him (we say used jokingly, he was over a year old when we got him) and hes been just as good as dog as the one we got as a new model (puppy). Why do we use vehicle terms for our dogs? No idea.. 😂
Whichever you choose would love to see pics! Who doesnt love puppy pics!?

Team female for no legit reasons other than I've had both & prefer female. 🤷‍♀️
My boys are more stubborn, but could be a breed specific thing. Maybe I just got lucky with my girl, she was a dream.
Ive started from puppy and from adult.... Both have pros and cons. Sometimes you are at a point in life where a puppy is the right choice & sometimes you are at a point where an older dog is the right choice. One of my boys was used when we got him (we say used jokingly, he was over a year old when we got him) and hes been just as good as dog as the one we got as a new model (puppy). Why do we use vehicle terms for our dogs? No idea.. 😂
Whichever you choose would love to see pics! Who doesnt love puppy pics!?
You got a used/second hand pooch and a new-in-box, straight from the factory puppy 😂 😂

Consult your vet on when to spay. Just like with de-clawing cats which if you ask my Dad is a great idea, we have new information and timelines have changed. Timelines are also different on different breeds. I have a very slow maturing breed (Leonberger,) that should not be altered before they are fully developed, minimum 2years old. This allows for beneficial hormone and bone growth. But Golden's mature slightly faster and that's my point. It's a very personal decision and you will find many perspectives. I no longer de-claw cats and I no longer alter dogs, that's me. My most recent 2 intact Newfie's both lived to be 13. Our 6year old Golden male is intact, no health issues.

Consult your vet on when to spay. Just like with de-clawing cats which if you ask my Dad is a great idea, we have new information and timelines have changed. Timelines are also different on different breeds. I have a very slow maturing breed (Leonberger,) that should not be altered before they are fully developed, minimum 2years old. This allows for beneficial hormone and bone growth. But Golden's mature slightly faster and that's my point. It's a very personal decision and you will find many perspectives. I no longer de-claw cats and I no longer alter dogs, that's me. My most recent 2 intact Newfie's both lived to be 13. Our 6year old Golden male is intact, no health issues.
My vet said not to spay until after their first heat cycle or until 1 year to 1 1/2 years old.

Agreed. Don’t forget health testing and asking the breeder questions too. A good breeder will not breed for money and tbh good breeders barely make money at all. Health tests are extremely important. With health tests, genetic health testing is not enough. It’s extremely important to do health screenings like hips, elbows, eyes, etc. I’m not super sure of the health tests recommended for goldens so make sure to do research on those.
And check what the breeder means by "health testing." Specifically.

With the last puppy, (a Golden Retriever, too), I thought I was asking about hips, elbows, eyes... but when I got there to pick up the puppy, she tried to say she would send it. I wouldn't take the puppy without it, so she got it. It was crap - some bs "testing" that told nothing; it wasn't even done in the right time window.

OFA is the right one.

She told a bunch of bs about socializing the puppies, breeding for temperment, etc. too. She was a puppy mill that knew how to sound like a good breeder on her website and on the phone.

Eventually (which means next spring) I'll be getting a puppy. It will most likely be a Golden Retriever. I'm wondering whether I should get a male or a female? Please help me!

I see that many good points have already been made.

Some points that I would consider:
--size. Males tend to grow larger than females.
--females go into heat, males don't.
--males NEVER get pregnant.
--males are more likely to lift their leg and pee on everything (but females can pee a lot too).
--males are more likely to hump people and other dogs (but females can do it too.)
--when the dog rolls over for a belly rub, the male's got something obvious right in the middle of his belly. I know at least one person who is bothered by this.

Some people have a really strong opinion one way or another, or a specific point that is very important to them, while for other people it's no big deal to have either gender. I don't know which points (if any) will matter to you.

Back
Top Bottom