Should I get a male or female puppy?

And check what the breeder means by "health testing." Specifically.

With the last puppy, (a Golden Retriever, too), I thought I was asking about hips, elbows, eyes... but when I got there to pick up the puppy, she tried to say she would send it. I wouldn't take the puppy without it, so she got it. It was crap - some bs "testing" that told nothing; it wasn't even done in the right time window.

OFA is the right one.

She told a bunch of bs about socializing the puppies, breeding for temperment, etc. too. She was a puppy mill that knew how to sound like a good breeder on her website and on the phone.
We had a yellow lab we got and that happened he turned put blind and deaf we couldnt keep him. The breeder we got our golden from was suppose to give us health papers and show proof the mom was purebred the dad had papers so we knew he was. She didnt so we will be doing a embark test on her or going to the vet to make sure she is purebred.

I see that many good points have already been made.

Some points that I would consider:
--size. Males tend to grow larger than females.
--females go into heat, males don't.
--males NEVER get pregnant.
--males are more likely to lift their leg and pee on everything (but females can pee a lot too).
--males are more likely to hump people and other dogs (but females can do it too.)
--when the dog rolls over for a belly rub, the male's got something obvious right in the middle of his belly. I know at least one person who is bothered by this.

Some people have a really strong opinion one way or another, or a specific point that is very important to them, while for other people it's no big deal to have either gender. I don't know which points (if any) will matter to you.
My friend’s two Goldens (both spayed females) hump constantly while my intact male never does. Well, he tried once when he first hit adolescence and the other dog quickly put him in his place and he’s never tried since. Anyway, I think it’s more of a training issue rather than gender or being intact. I’ve actually heard from some people that work at dog daycares and altered dogs are the biggest humpers usually. So I wouldn’t decide based on that.

Just want to put my two cents in as someone who has done rescue before. If you already have another dog in the house it would be best to get get a dog if the opposite gender. If you get a female it’s generally considered better for their health and your sanity to get them fixed. For large breeds like goldens it recommended to have it done somewhere between one and two years as it reduces the risk for certain health issues. But if you don’t/won’t have the ability to keep her and yourself safe from potentially aggressive males then it would be best to go ahead and get her fixed earlier as males can be very persistent. When in heat she will need to supervised and kept on a leash at all times when outside as a fence won’t stop most suitors.

And check what the breeder means by "health testing." Specifically.

With the last puppy, (a Golden Retriever, too), I thought I was asking about hips, elbows, eyes... but when I got there to pick up the puppy, she tried to say she would send it. I wouldn't take the puppy without it, so she got it. It was crap - some bs "testing" that told nothing; it wasn't even done in the right time window.

OFA is the right one.

She told a bunch of bs about socializing the puppies, breeding for temperment, etc. too. She was a puppy mill that knew how to sound like a good breeder on her website and on the phone.
Agreed!! And always ask for proof of the OFAs. They can lie about that too

Agreed!! And always ask for proof of the OFAs. They can lie about that too
You can also look them up on the OFA website yourself if you have the registered name or if they give you a link. That way you can see if they’re lying or not. And sometimes they can say they did it but they only did prelims as a puppy and didn’t recheck as an adult or only checked eyes once instead of yearly and stuff like that and you’ll be able to see if it’s outdated too.

Also, a good breeder will not let you pick the puppy. They pick it based on your needs. For example, some dogs end up being higher energy than others and they need a certain lifestyle.
I was gonna say that too. They should be able to match you a puppy based on what information you provide them about what you’re looking for. That’s why it’s important to be honest. They know the puppies best. Also most breeders do temperament testing on the litter as well. Occasionally there may be say, two puppies, that are an equally good fit and you may be able to choose between those, but for the most part, the breeder should pick.

With Goldens, sex shouldn't matter much as far as temperament goes. Some Goldens are quiet house dogs, and some are very busy. Meeting the parents and talking to the (good!) breeder should help with this.
In general, I think bitches are easier if it's a tough guard type breed, and males are easier if it's a more timid type.
And if it's a working line, definitely don't get the toughest/ most dominant puppy!
Mary

My friend’s two Goldens (both spayed females) hump constantly while my intact male never does. Well, he tried once when he first hit adolescence and the other dog quickly put him in his place and he’s never tried since. Anyway, I think it’s more of a training issue rather than gender or being intact. I’ve actually heard from some people that work at dog daycares and altered dogs are the biggest humpers usually. So I wouldn’t decide based on that.
the humping is a dominance thing.
being put 'in his place' solved the issue for your boy

Back
Top Bottom