Should I get a Silkie? :) Why or Why Not?

Nope, haven't got the chicks yet
lol.png

I have to build a coop, Mom says
roll.png

I mean... I can build a smallish coop in like a few days!!! And they stay in the brooder till....

Well... I dont know...

How long do silkies stay in the brooder? I wouldn't know because they dont really have feathers....

Thanks for the info AngieChick
big_smile.png

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I have NOT got my chicks yet (I wish...)

Hatching.... Ive never done it and know absolutely NOTHING
about it but it sounds sooooooooo great!!!

Hmm....

m2wandc Wrote:

I was thinking about just letting the big birds see the silkies for a short visit and see what happens...I only have one enclosure, so if they don't mesh well, the silkies have to go...anyone in central CA want them???

Ugh... If i was where you were I would take them in a minute!!!

By the way, I respect your views on silkies. Some like em, others dont!

Good luck
smile.png

Definitely get a friend for your silkie! My silkie is by far the neediest chick I've ever owned. I had to separate her from her buddy, a runt, last night and she won't stop crying. The runt got over it in about an hour. The cuddly toy helps, but she's too big for the runt and too small for my other EE pullet to chill with yet.

I would like to know also if there's any special feather maintenance. Also, how well do silkies stand the heat?

I also may have told a four year old that their 5th toes give them super powers beyond those of a normal chicken, so that they can do anything and are therefore the perfect animal. Maybe that'll be true for you?

I love my silkies. I bought five of them as chicks over a year ago. All of them did well and happened to be hens, too. They are prolific layers and great moms! They get along with just about anybody including the large hens and cochin roosters. Since I don't have a silkie rooster, their babies are "mutt" chicks but they are still adorable.

They're feisty little things....just so cute. I never fed them anything special other than laying formula (after the chick starter, of course)...they free range and stick near the cochin rooster....

They'll steal your heart....

Quote:
Ugh... If i was where you were I would take them in a minute!!!

By the way, I respect your views on silkies. Some like em, others dont!

Good luck
smile.png

You will be happy to know they are SLOWLY growing on me...they are cute and seriously adorable, but they just aren't as friendly and I handle them daily, but they never act like they actually are enjoying any of it...where my buff orpinton would melt in my hand and kick her feet back and pretty much succum to extreme comotos comfort (spelling errors, sorry)
wink.png

But the Silkies are finding a place in my heart slowly...if they can be in the same coop as my big chickens all will be fine...but if they need special anything compared to the other chicken kids, then they might need to find a new home, but I don't dooo well with "rehoming" because I'm a big believer of taking on a pet for life...and accepting the responsiblity that comes with giving a pet a good home for it's entire life. Soooo I am pretty sure they're here to stay and I need to get over it and start focusing on my choice and start loving them up more whether they like it or not! LOL
wink.png

I tried to pick ones that had less fur on the feet, but it turns out one of mine has LOADS of foot hair feathers now...soooo I guess I'll have to read up on what to do to care for that when they are outside full time???

Quote:
THIS is what I'm hoping for...if I can have this, my silkies will for sure win my heart over!!!
smile.png

I am also curious if there is any special Silkie maintenance. I'll be getting my girl in 2 weeks. She will be in with my flock and, once my foot heals, out free ranging as well. I have some feather footed birds already but they don't seem to need anything special, are Silkies like that too?

I'm getting my Silkie because I WANT a natural incubator. I could care less if she ever lays an egg, I just want her to raise chicks for me. I've got 20 laying hens already. I bought 2 other bantams last year but they never go broody so I'm giving up on them and getting the Silkie. Lace and S'Mores (my other bantams) will just be freeloaders forever I think, they do lay eggs though. Lace lays an egg nearly as big as my barred rocks but her eggs are more of a cream color. S'Mores is a tiny Mille Fleur and her eggs are subsequently tiny and nearly white.

I'm very excited about my new Silkie girl! I have to remember to find out her name!

Quote:
My husband had 2 silkies when he was growing up. He had them out with the other chickens they had, which included the standard sized barnyard kind of chickens. He does not remember any problems with them due to their size or feathers. Well, except that the white one did not stay *white*. The dirt showed up real good on white so that silkie was kinda yellow. They were pets and not used for shows or competitions, so that really was not an issue.

My silkie is warming up to me. I have had her since Easter. At first she seemed not to like being handled at all! But she is slowly coming around to being held. She is fun to watch - well all chickens are fun to watch! But she is more fun to watch because she is so fluffy!

Enjoy them for the fluffy little things they are and don't push liking them. Not everyone does. And that is just fine! Good luck!
wink.png

Quote:
My husband had 2 silkies when he was growing up. He had them out with the other chickens they had, which included the standard sized barnyard kind of chickens. He does not remember any problems with them due to their size or feathers. Well, except that the white one did not stay *white*. The dirt showed up real good on white so that silkie was kinda yellow. They were pets and not used for shows or competitions, so that really was not an issue.

My silkie is warming up to me. I have had her since Easter. At first she seemed not to like being handled at all! But she is slowly coming around to being held. She is fun to watch - well all chickens are fun to watch! But she is more fun to watch because she is so fluffy!

Enjoy them for the fluffy little things they are and don't push liking them. Not everyone does. And that is just fine! Good luck!
wink.png

Good things to hear!!!
smile.png
Thanks! they are really darling...truth be known, the only reason I got a silkie was because everyone on here was always saying how great they are, so I guess my expectations were pretty high...I really wanted a frizzle for 'cuteness factor' but the silkies are starting to grow on me and I'm guessing once my son & daughter's massive birthday party (over 50 kids, their silbings and their parents coming!) is over I will have more time to enjoy them...right now I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to put together a brithday party that is TODAY...they are about 2 weeks old (I think...will look at the calendar to confirm...so maybe by 3 weeks I'll be more into them...
smile.png
My giant freekish sized buff orpington is WAY COOL!!! LOVE HER DEARLY!!!!!!!
smile.png

Good luck with the B-Day party. That's a lot of folks attending.

Since your silkies are coming on 3 wks, try giving them a little grit and meal worms.

My three banties are a little skitish compared to my standard chicks with the exception of the one roo.

Last week when my banties turned 3 wks, I started the mealies. The black silkie and black cochin are now loving me. The black cochin wants up on my hand now because I'm the worm giver. My buff silkie still doesn't like being handled, has never gotten a meal worm because the other two get it before he/she does. Maybe the buff is a roo. He/she does settle down when I'm holding all of them together on my lap.

I hope it all works out for you.

Getting all snugly after eating worms
24846_cozy_and_sleepy_after_eating_worms_35_wks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom