Should I get an Australorp or Jersey Giant?

The Lisser

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Foothills of North Carolina
A friend has a Black Australorp hen that has the beautiful greenish sheen to her feathers - I think she's
love.gif
beautiful! I am planning to purchase some chicks through MPC, and I want a black chicken with the pretty sheen. I've tried looking through the Jersey Giant thread but couldn't really tell - do black Jersey Giants have a greenish sheen too?

The reason I'm thinking about NOT getting an Australorp is that I've heard that the heavier layers are more likely to develop internal laying. I get very attached to my animals and if they are sick it stresses me out big time, so I'd rather avoid that. I have heard of RIR's and BR's getting internal laying, but not heard of any Australorps getting it - however they are very heavy layers.

So, have any of you had an Australorp with internal laying? Are black Jersey Giants just as pretty as Australorps?

Thanks!!
Melissa

Get black giants! But then again I raise giants & just love them - size, color & personality so that's just my opinion. They both have a beautiful sheen.

Any hen could become an internal layer I guess, but I've never had it happen myself, so I don't think it's very common. (Or maybe I've just been lucky). If I started thinking about all the things that could go wrong with the flocks like laying problems, parasites, genetic defects, etc. that I hear other people run into I'd be too scared to have any chickens at all, but they are really pretty hardy. We've never had any trouble with anything except trying not to buy a bunch of every new breed I see. Thank goodness for chicken math or I'd think I was in trouble.

Good luck,
Terry

I raise both breeds and have never had this problem; only with a few of my banty hens.Both have great personalities too. My BG roo Slade we just walk up to him and pick him up, and he will crow!
lol.png
lol.png
Gentle giants they are, both are good egg layers too even in winter time here.

Slade my BG roo
7892_hpim2367.jpg

7892_hpim2364.jpg

"Should I get an Australorp or Jersey Giant?"

Well....Duh......Get both and cross breed them and select the ones with the traits of both that you like.

Yes, get one, or two, or three of each!

I love my BA, Matilda.
41679_matildaranging.jpg

and
41679_matilda_on_the_run.jpg

I also have a little bantam Jersey Giant (which makes NO sense to me whatsoever) but it's only 6 weeks old. No beetle-green feathering yet.

Back
Top Bottom