should i get an emu?

Your going to need a large pen with a good sized shed and 6 to 8 foot tall fence for starters. They aren't hard to care for but they can be dangerous if cornered or scared. They can seriously hurt you. There are some commercial ratite "emu, ostrich, rhea" rations out there but they can be hard to acquire depending on your area. Other feeds can be used though such as game bird pellets.

ok, i have roughly half an acre would that be enough, and are they too hard to care for considering i have to go to school everyday

Half acre would be a very good sized pen. Is your fence tall enough? What type of fencing do you have? They aren't any harder to care for than any other poultry other than housing. Just feed and water once or twice a day.

i think that the fence would be the deal breaker and i live in a partially urban enviroment so that might be a problem

I don't have an emu, but as a thirteen year old with already a lot of birds, my mom would DEFINITELY not let me get an emu. Which I understand. I say if she says no, (probably will, just a heads up) don't fight her, jut show her you are responsible enough, by buying the food, the emu itself, and preparing an enclosure. Emus are also VERY expensive, up to $800 per bird, an $100 for a hatching egg.

I admire your enthusiasm. But an emu, fungi, can live twenty years in captivity. So getting one is a big big decision. And vet costs can sneak up on you.

Meanwhile, would you like to write some Notes about emus, and make your own thread here? We are a small community, and very pleased to have more members. And emoooz are very interesting people to study.

20170606_154332.jpg

This is a 100%-wild male I called 'Dark Male.' He has unusual plumage. A handsome guy.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, West Australia

Back
Top Bottom