Should i get an incubator, or should i order some chicks from IDEAL?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ninjascrub69, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Cant choose! AHHHHHHHHHHH [​IMG]

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    pststtt get an incubator, hehehe then you can order as many eggs you and all different breeds. and you can say you hatched them yourself.

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I just order chicks, because I am so busy, I think that I would forget to tend to the incubator. Either way you will still get the same outcome, MORE CHICKENS!![​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Depends upon what you're after.

If you want top quality, specific breeds and don't mind a 50% chance of roosters, get an incubator and order eggs from reputable breeders.

If you want non-show quality backyard flock chickens, but with only a 10% chance of roosters, order pullets from a hatchery.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Bator [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you can eat or rehome roos. BATOR.

If you don't worry about quality ORDER..... and I will say, I've seen some pretty spectacular chicks come from a hatchery too.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Order some buff O's and in6 to 8 months they will be your incubator.

8. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    What Ranchhand said. It depends on what you're trying to do. There's nothing wrong with hatchery birds. If you want to show them or do 4H you should buy chicks or eggs from a breeder. If you just want a nice looking flock then pick a breed or breeds and buy from a hatchery. If you want to raise and sell pullets like a a lot of people do and want to use an incubator to bypass the cost of the chicks. Remember that most people want pullets only and if you can't tell the difference they are more difficult to sell.

Incubating isn't as easy as it sounds. If the temperature and humidity isn't close to perfect, you get a real low hatch rate. You should read some of the postings in the hatching section. You'll see that a lot of people have problems with temp and humidity. We had Hovabators and we live in Colorado where the humidity is real low. We wasted a lot of money on eggs with them. Then we got a Sportsman. It works great because it does a very good job of controlling humidity and temperature. It is expensive but for what we use it for it was a good investment.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Both

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I started out with hatchery birds and within a year I had found out how much difference there was with the nice birds from good stock and had sold all my original stock to start over with the good stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by